cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Yahoo historical close prices now adjusted stock splits

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

Yahoo historical close prices now adjusted stock splits

I recently have noticed that Yahoo historical prices is now providing two adjusted closing prices, no longer the actual historic market close for an historic date.  That is, the close price is now shown with an * to indicate all past historical prices are now adjusted for split activity, no longer the actual market close for a prior date.  And the adj close price now uses two *'s, to indicate the price is adjusted for both aplits and dividends.  Why is the 'actual' historical market close no longer being provided?  Is there another method for getting the 'actual historical' market closing price with Yahoo Finance as before prior to this change?

Thanks in advance for any help with this question. - b

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Finance All-star

Re: Yahoo historical close prices now adjusted stock splits

@brinsmere

You will need to unadjust the prices yourself using the Stock Split information provided by YF under the Historical Data tab. Or, you can go to marketwatch.com and they do provide the Unadjusted closing price and Adjustment factor for a specific ticker and trade date.

I still haven't heard a good explanation from anyone in the YF community as to the usefulness of unadjusted OHLC prices. Maybe you can explain why this information is necessary?

YF stock data is for information only and should not be used for making serious investment decisions. You should go to your brokerage to find any info on any personal trades you've made in your account.

Yahoo Finance price adjusment process

Screenshot 2017-09-14 at 2.51.48 PM.pngmarketwatch.com

Screenshot 2017-09-14 at 2.48.11 PM.pngYF stock split data for AAPL

4 REPLIES
Finance All-star

@brinsmere

You will need to unadjust the prices yourself using the Stock Split information provided by YF under the Historical Data tab. Or, you can go to marketwatch.com and they do provide the Unadjusted closing price and Adjustment factor for a specific ticker and trade date.

I still haven't heard a good explanation from anyone in the YF community as to the usefulness of unadjusted OHLC prices. Maybe you can explain why this information is necessary?

YF stock data is for information only and should not be used for making serious investment decisions. You should go to your brokerage to find any info on any personal trades you've made in your account.

Yahoo Finance price adjusment process

Screenshot 2017-09-14 at 2.51.48 PM.pngmarketwatch.com

Screenshot 2017-09-14 at 2.48.11 PM.pngYF stock split data for AAPL

New 'Hoo

Rayo,

Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate that...here is why this is important for me (and perhaps other investors)...

The 'actual' market close price for a past historical date is required so that I am able to 'recreate' an investment holdings report to match past brokerage statements for both actual quantity owned as of the date, and actual market value of the holding as of the date.  That is, the tool I use allows the ability to store historical price dates with unadjusted actual market closing prices for any past date, such as say 12/31/1985.  Then, I am able to recreate for my investment accounts a report that shows my investment holdings as of 12/31/1985.  All newer activity is excluded, so in essence, I can create a report to reconcile to the matching broker statement as of this date.  The actual close price on 12/31/1985 is used to properly derive the market values as of that date. This is an especially helpful function for verifying proper quantities owned and market values as of the historic date for tax purposes.  Thus, with the way YF is now doing this, no longer providing the actual market close, rather adjusting all older historic prices for newly issued splits, makes this reporting no longer possible if re-constructing years' past month end historic price dates.  I will take a look at marketwatch.com to see if they do provide the actual, unadjusted, historic closing prices.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Any idea why YF decided to change and no longer provide this?  Seems redundant (for non dividend paying compnaies) to now provide two 'adjusted' close prices, instead of - or additionally - one that is the actual close price.  Or is available elsewhere with YF, that is, the older non adjusted actual close price? 

Thanks again, -b

'Hoo Recruit

The raw data is very useful when doing backward testing. Yahoo not only adjusted the data with split but also it rounds the adjusted price to the 2 decimals. This combination of rounding and adjusting will introduce large errors for data far back in the history and render the data useless.

'Hoo Recruit

You won't be able to reconstruct the original price because yahoo round the adjusted price to the 2 decimals. And imagine you have a 100/1 split for a period of 20 years. Then the 2 decimal round will result in around 1 dollar error in price