cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Yahoo Portfolios showing wrong totals???

SOLVED
Finance All-star

Re: Yahoo Portfolios showing wrong totals???

@Cutter111

According to YF, Google Finance (GF) and morningstar.com WIR-U.TO does trade in USD even on the TSE. It says so right in the name of the security. Is this not the case? If you are purchasing this security in Canada I assume your broker would have to convert your CAD into USD to purchase this security.

It's possible we're not understanding the problem but using the Canadian YF won't work any different than the US site other than your overall portfolio's total value that you see on the top level My Portfolios page will always convert to CAD. You can have individual portfolios valued in other currencies but the sum of all portfolios will always convert to the currency used in the home country of the Yahoo site you are using. So you use the Canadian site CAD, US site USD, German site EUR, UK site GBP, etc.

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this but we do need to have a common understanding of what exactly is the problem.

The below values of 500 shares are identical just in different currencies 

500 shares of WIR-U.TO equals (500 sh. x 13.40USD) = $6,700USD

or

500 shares of WIR-U.TO equals (500 sh. x 13.40USD x 1.2525) = CA$8,391.75

Screenshot 2017-10-08 at 12.32.50 PM.pnginvestors.wptreit.com

Screenshot 2017-10-08 at 11.58.51 AM.pngYF shows USD currencyScreenshot 2017-10-08 at 12.02.16 PM.pngGF shows USD currency

'Hoo Recruit

I’m having the same problems. When I look at the “My portfolios” view, the totals are correct for the individual portfolios, but the grand total and the day gain are way off. Both are much larger than they should be, about 30% higher. It almost looked like the individual totals were in US dollars and the grand total was in CAD dollars, but that didn’t pan out. CAD is 27.4% higher than USD. So why is this happening?  I am using the US website, never been on the CA website.

Finance All-star

@Dick74

What securities are in each of your portfolios? Are all your portfolio lists with lot values in USD? How many portfolio lists are adding up to the grand total? We need more details. It is likely a currency issue since I've never seen the problems you are reporting. Also, are you using the desktop site or one of the mobile apps.

There is a known problem with the Day Gain % and Total Gain % being 10 times too high for the grand total of all portfolios.

New 'Hoo

Cost basis is calculated inaccurately if you have multiple lots of the same stock. I think its sowing the first lot in the overall toal for the cost basis field. Earlier it worked fine. 

Administratin' 'Hoo

@amritajha -  We are aware of this issue with the 'cost basis' not calculating correctly and our Finance team is working to correct it.  We are also aware that the total number of shares from lots are not being added and should have that fixed soon as well.  Thank you.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Pro 'Hoo

Another issue:  why can't the portfolio show TOTAL market value for all stocks in the portfolio?   It works OK for me in terms of each individual stock value, but apparently there is no way to set up and show the total of all stocks.  Seems like that value would be extremely useful and necessary 

Pro 'Hoo

Another issue:  why can't the portfolio show Total market value for all stocks in the portfolio?   It works OK for me in terms of each individual stock value, but apparently there is no way to set up and show the total of all stocks.  Seems like that value would be extremely useful and necessary 

Administratin' 'Hoo

Hi @GeneK - If you click on the My Portfolios link on the main Finance page you will see a list of all your portfolios with the total value of all your portfolios shown on top.  If you click on an individual portfolio the total value will also appear.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
New 'Hoo

thanks Currency was my issue as well