cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Yahoo! Finance Portfolios Import Feature

Administratin' 'Hoo

Re: Yahoo! Finance Portfolios Import Feature

@cortneal - I believe that is the plan eventually, I just don't have any specifics on when at this time.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
New 'Hoo

Glad somebody's having some luck.  it would be helpful if YF could provide some guidance on what fields are valid or necessary.  I tried a straight export from Google and then import as csv with no luck.  Then I stripped the file down to just symbol and shares.  Still no luck.  Hmmm.  

I was amazed that Google was discontinuing something so useful as portfolios and immediately thought to throw my attention to Yahoo, but re-entering all the data is daunting.  Even a simple import would be helpful.

Finance All-star

@brad_lee - a straight download of tickers from Google Finance with no lot information should Import to YF with minimal problems. You will have problems with foreign tickers but most US ticker symbols should import ok.

How many symbols are you trying to import? Can you provide a sample of tickers (maybe 6) so I could give it a try. Are you using the desktop site or the app?

It's hard to say when YF gets the import of at least buy lots from GF to work correctly. I wouldn't hold my breath.

'Hoo Recruit

Why hasn't Yahoo provided the format of the CSV file?  what is the minimum columns required?  Ticker & quantity?  

'Hoo Recruit

Yahoo still hasn't answered the simple question.  What are the standard CSV columns required?  Is there a minimum columns required or must all columns be provided and what are they?  I would think that one should be able to create a portfolio with a minimun of just ticker & quantity.  Please help provide more details on the CSV format which everyone in this community post are asking for.

'Hoo Recruit

The following column format worked for me (each bullet below is a column header in the CSV):

• Symbol
  • Purchase Price
  • Quantity
  • Commission
  • Comment

I could not get "Trade Date" or "Date" to register with the import function for original trade date.  Maybe there is a different header for that information or it just isn't implemented. 

Finance All-star

@csimoes - are you using the YF App or the desktop import?

I can only get the Symbol, Shares and Price to import after converting the Date from the GF .csv file to MM/DD/YYYY. Then for some reason the YF import will at least load the Shares and Price correctly. No luck on the Date and Notes fields.

I guess YF engineers have given up trying to fix the desktop import. It was never going to work for a complex portfolio but it should have been pretty easy to develop one for Buy lots only with 5 columns:

1. Symbol
  2. Trade Date
  3. Shares
  4. Purchase Price
  5. Notes

import resultimport resultimport file layoutimport file layout

'Hoo Recruit

I was using the desktop import but yea I couldn't get date to work either.  I don't think they implemented trade date.

-Chris