cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Yahoo! Finance Portfolios Import Feature

'Hoo Recruit

Yahoo! Finance Portfolios Import Feature

I see that there is now an option to import tickers into a portfolio. I have attempted to do so on a couple of occasion and had no luck. Is there a particular format for the .csv? Also, is there a maximum number of tickers that can be imported into any one portfolio.

17 REPLIES
Finance All-star

Re: Yahoo! Finance Portfolios Import Feature

@cortneal

I agree. I tried to use the Import function on the desktop site to upload a .csv from Google Finance and it doesn't work. I select the file to import, hit submit and nothing happens.

CSV file to importCSV file to importYF ImportYF Import

Screenshot 2017-11-29 at 1.31.51 PM.png

'Hoo Recruit

I have the same problem. I run through the steps to import a CSV file exported from Google Finance, and nothing happens. Is there any response from Yahoo! regarding this? With the discontinuation of the Portfolios feature in Google Finance, this is a timely topic. 

New 'Hoo

Yes same here.  It actually magically worked once when I tried import then never again.  Been playing with the import feature for few days now and no luck.  Yahoo please solve this.  

Administratin' 'Hoo

Thanks for the report everyone.  I'll get this over to engineering and have the problem investigated.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Finance All-star

The Imported from Google feature now works on the desktop using Chrome. I haven't tried a portfolio that has lots but a simple portfolio with 100 tickers uploaded just fine starting yesterday. Thanks for fixing this problem.

Suggestions

Instead of Imported from Google portfolio name just use the filename of the .csv file. I have to rename each portfolio that I upload.

Problems

It would be nice if YF could convert US ticker symbols that have a dot in them to a dash so it imports correctly. The below are ones I've noticed with a problem but I expect others exist.

It could be a real problem with foreign symbols where YF uses .TO, .L, .PA, .AX, etc.

BRK.A should convert to BRK-A

BRK.B should convert to BRK-B

BF.A should convert to BF-A

BF.B should convert to BF-B

JW.A should convert to JW-A

JW.B should convert to JW-B

RDS.A should convert to RDS-A

RDS.B should convert to RDS-B

Administratin' 'Hoo

Thanks @rayo - Our engineers are aware of the international ticker issue with the import.  I'll send your examples over.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
'Hoo Recruit

So, if it is now fixed. What is the acceptable layout of the .csv. Do you need headers? Can I just put tickers in the A Column? Or is more info needed. I didn't have a Google Portfolio, but I would assume you can use this to upload any set of securities.

Administratin' 'Hoo

@cortneal - the import function was designed to be a temporary option for Google Finance users to transfer their portfolios before they disappeared.  Our engineers are continuing to work on a few problems with that functionality. 

'Hoo Recruit

Understood, but why not make it a permanent feature of Yahoo! Finance? I can see it being used a great deal, especially now that Yahoo! has decided to take down the API that provided many users access to stock quotes.