cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

If the URL request does not come from a browser they inserted a delay of some seconds.

Try from excel with a Hyperlink command

Established 'Hoo

I do not think so.

The URL for downloading historical data from query1.finance.yahoo.com v7 finance download symbol?   contains the following fields

period1: Time in seconds since 1970 for the beginning of the period for which the data is needed

period2: Time in seconds since 1970 for the end of the period for which the data is needed

interval: 1d or 1wk or 1 mo

events: 'history' for prices, 'div' for dividends

crumb: ????

Crumb is of course coming from the server, and that may be the field that protects the API.

If any one can figure that out and also on how to modify the headers of the rquest so that the server thinks that the request is coming from the browser the data download may be successful. Of course YAhoo can add additional roadblocks if this event occurs.

'Hoo Recruit

I'm aware of this link also and have been able to download a csv file.  However, I also need the adjusted close numbers, and I don't think Google provides this data.  This really messes me up.  Perhaps we could go to Google and ask them to add that data?

Established 'Hoo

Thanks to everyone who is participating in this thread!

I'm glad there are people who understand that such an attitude to customers is really unacceptable.

After hours of browsing and research, I found that so far there is no such a service to provide same functionality as Yahoo FInance API.

BUT. If your application requires historical data in a rough format of:

Date,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume

Google provides historical service which I tested today and everything was working fine:

http://www.google.com/finance/historical?q=NASDAQ:ADBE&startdate=Jan+01%2C+2009&enddate=Aug+2%2C+2012&output=csv

I hope wrapping request in code block bypasses yahoo link block and allows you to test it out.

Result of request is:

Date,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume
2-Aug-12,30.46,30.83,30.25,30.58,2639980
1-Aug-12,31.05,31.17,30.64,30.69,2738740
31-Jul-12,30.99,31.27,30.84,30.88,2662853

I know, you may require much broader functionality, however hope for some of you it may be a temporary solution.

'Hoo Recruit

google finance historical price data is downloadable but only going back to june 2001, while data viewable going back to january 1978. why the truncated download?

New 'Hoo

Has anyone been able to reach anyone at Yahoo? Are they even aware that there is an issue? Has there been a press release at all about this problem? I can't believe that they will just drop this service without any notification.

New 'Hoo

I thought that Google's closing price was the adjusted closing price.

'Hoo Recruit

Unfortunately you are absolutely right. Google's closing price IS adjusted.

Contributin' 'Hoo

And so we find ourselves here in the year 2017 ... in a day and age where "information overload" has been said to be on of the main characteristics of our society. Where newspapers struggle to make money because the general public expects information to be free of charge.

In this situation I can't help being amazed by the fact that we struggle so mightily to get access to basic historical finance data, be it from free and commercial sources.

New 'Hoo

Hi Nixon,
I am using vba to download historical stock prices to excel.
Will that still be possible?