cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
Established 'Hoo

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

I understand that.

However, unless Yahoo completely stops providing historical data in the Yahoo Finance page, someone who can write a program that emulates a browser (just for this limited purpose) so that the server at query1.finance.yahoo.com thinks that the request for data is coming from a desktop browser, that should work.

New 'Hoo

This afternoon I created a script in a browser automation tool called TestIM that hits the finance URL for a given quote and date timeframe, then navigates to and hits the download data button. This appears to work because it uses the browser and the new cookie crumb the **bleep** site expects is preserved. This should also work using the iMacro tool.

It's as ugly as lipstick on a pig, but until a different free historical data source is identified that can be used for scripted downloads (likely), or Yahoo unscrews the chart API (unlikely as it looks like the Titanic is sinking), it will work.

Pro 'Hoo

investor1024 no I have never received a captcha prompt and I admit I use it for downloading intraday data (5min)for stocks in the SP500 and NDQ100

Established 'Hoo

>Sounds like you are thanking yahoo for shutting down this.

?

No, just expressing appreciation for a good service that was free for years. Try to find the equivalent elsewhere. You likely won't find it. If there are "millions" who use the Yahoo API, so much the better and I'm happy to have guessed wrong. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee, but how they would track who has paid I don't know. I get Yahoo data via a proprietary app on a thumb-drive on whatever PC I happen to be using.

Established 'Hoo

There is nothing equivalent elsewhere for a reasonable price. Two examples:

1. QuoteMedia gives only price history and does not account for splits ad dividends.

2. csidata gives your files for the historical data charging something for each year of data.

Both basically want you to use theie desktop software. I don't know how difficult it will be to make a programmatic interface to their data. Both cost about $50 month.

If you want to have the general API that Yahoo finance has you will have to roll out your own. Obviously that will iself be a nontrivial task.

It is a shame that Yahoo is throwing away so much. I don't know about others, but I will be glad to pay them a (reasonable) monthly fees for access to the data with the current API.

Pro 'Hoo

The API is really helpful and I've created many tools base on these data in the past years. Now, the data supply was cut which is really a disaster. 

Yahoo, please reinstate API or at least charge a small fee. 

Pro 'Hoo

Totally agree with this. Thanks for speaking out for us!

Yahoo, please reinstate API or at least charge a small fee.

Established 'Hoo

The problem here is not so much, that yahoo decided to end this free service, which is understandable, but the way they did it. There was no timely announcement. Many people who depended on this service, are left out in the cold, with no time to look for alternatives. A company that treats people this way, does not deserve anyone's support.  

Contributin' 'Hoo

Everyone,

Please do the community a favor and vote up the following user voice to tell Yahoo that you want them to reinstate the API.

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/382977-finance/suggestions/19322560-please-bring-back-the-api

Pro 'Hoo

This method can work for stocks listed in DJ or NASDAQ such as YHOO, IBM. As for stocks listed in other markets such as "TPE:2330", "SHA:600028", it will come out an error message like "The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know." FYI.