cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
Contributin' 'Hoo

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

So it is really true and official that the API is discontinued.

Given the large number of companies and private investors that were relying on this service for their daily investment activities, it is quite remarkable that no advance notice was given. No official statement. The fact that the Yahoo representative in this thread had to check back with the engineering team to find out what had happened speaks volumes of how this has been going down. Of course Yahoo is a commercial entity that has no obligation to provide a service free of charge. But the way that this happended displays a complete lack of respect and consideration for their end users and makes the Yahoo Finance decision makers appear nothing short of shadowy league figures.

With both the Google and Yahoo finance APIs gone, a void has opened in the market. Viable alternatives for retail investors remain limited or entirely unavailable (I'm still trying to get an overview of what exists out there). This is especially true for equities outside the United States. Comprehensive, high quality data APIs exist, but they cater to banks and financial institutions and cost tens of thousands of dollars per year.

Let us hope that someone will pick ut the slack, whether it is a company offering a commercial service or a solution given by the open source community. I would really like to see someone like Quandl seize the opportunity by increasing their coverage at an affordable price.

Everyone with something at stake here: Get involved. Keep complaining to Yahoo and ask them to reinstate the service. Ask them to offer it for a fee. Get enganged with the software development community and challenge them to come up with new API solutions. Challenge commerical vendors to provide EoD equity and exchange rate data at a price that the private small time investor can bear.

Let's stick together and get this issue solved, one way or another!

New 'Hoo

test

Established 'Hoo

This is literally an abuse of entire community! Have you thought about people who's software is relying on that API? There has been no clear notification given in advance. I just realised my app simply doesn't work because Yahoo closed its historical API. And now entire system has to be redesigned. Unbelievable. Okay, apart from complaining, can anybody advice another free historical service available? I'm just shocked it happened. Hours were wasted because landing page says "Our engineers are working quickly to resolve the issue." rather than "This API is not active anymore". Smiley Frustrated

Established 'Hoo

I wonder if we could keep the service alive through crowdfunding. How much would it take, Yahoo?

Seems to me that historical financial data should be available to everyone.

Pro 'Hoo

NICKITA same here wasted days that would have been better spent finding a new solution believing that the API was simply
having an issue and would be restored ASAP!
Pro 'Hoo

Google Finance has an API

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*"

Just try this Period = 5min (300sec/60) NumberOfDays = 10 Ticker Symbol = Yahoo

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*

Anyone for buying Puts.lol.Smiley Wink

Some 'howto' documentation

New 'Hoo

Hi - There is another thread about this on Yahoo and one person provided a link to google financial service.  I tried it and it seems to work except there is not adjusted close column.  Here is the ULR:  

Good luck to all of you, let's keep sharing useful information and kep the pressure on yahoo finance to start the icharts back up.

Pro 'Hoo

Google API examples

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/getprices?q=YHOO&p=10d

daily bars for 10days of Yahoo

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/getprices?i=300&p=10d&f=d,o,h,l,c,v&df=&q=YHOO

intraday 5minute bars for 10 days of Yahoo

NB/- Just sub google for yahoo in the above

Contributin' 'Hoo

Guys ... external links will not work on this site ...

If you have solutions, I encourage you to get involved over at stackoverflow dot com. Press "Tags" and then search for "yql" to find the issues describing the problem we are discussing in this thread.

New 'Hoo

Maybe Yahoo got hit by WannaCry?