cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
Established 'Hoo

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

Some more suggestions for trying to find workaround:

Rather than compute the adjusted close prices as Yahoo did (as this entails updating the historical adjusted close data every time there is a dividend/distribution), total daily return should be computed. For example if the price on a given day is p1, and the dividends d2 are distributed on the next day on which the (unadjusted) close price is p2, the total return for day 2 is (1+d2/p2)*(p2/p1). On the day on which there is no distribution/divide d, the return is of course (close price on the day)/close price on the previous day). Likewise of there is 1:n split on day 2, (ie. one share of stock is split into n shares), the total return for the day 2 would be (n*p2)/p1. That is all. No back-updating of the historical data is required.

Of course if you want to compute the adjusted monthly return for a given month, the product of daily returns for the month should be used. 

This method is adequate for all the information on the prices, distributions and dividends is required for computing total returns. Yahoo's method was correct, but it required more updates than necessary for this purpose.

'Hoo Recruit

Google's API seems to still be working. I stumbled acrossed it earlier today after searching for an alternative. 

Replace the address with google and specify your time frame / symbol of interest for desired results:
http://www.yahoo.com/finance/historical?q=AAPL&startdate=Jan+01%2C+2000&output=csv

'Hoo Recruit

Google's API seems to still be working. I stumbled acrossed it earlier today after searching for an alternative. 

Replace the address with google and specify your time frame / symbol of interest for desired results:
http://www.yahoo.com/finance/historical?q=AAPL&startdate=Jan+01%2C+2000&output=csv

New 'Hoo

Google Sheets (similar to Excel worksheets) will also allow you to create a spreadsheet of historical stock prices but downloading that spreadsheet is a problem.

New 'Hoo

How would I change the date range in the URL to make it two specific dates?

New 'Hoo

I wrote a short article on this whole situation.

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*
New 'Hoo

Atentis looks like your link wasn't allowed to be posted. 
'Hoo Recruit

If people are waiting for Yahoo to recognize their error and reverse the change, don't hold your breath. Yahoo's course over the last few years should confirm this. I wrote an email to the support group for Yahoo finance last week and have not heard anything. I highly recommend you take a look at  

www.tiingo.com

if you are looking for data especially historical price adjusted O/H/L/C data. I have been able to easily import data into a pandas dataframe so now it should not be too hard to modify my existing programs.

'Hoo Recruit

Please let us know if they intend to resurrect it!

New 'Hoo

I'm not happy about this either but I don't really see how you can fault them.  They owe you nothing.