cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
Established 'Hoo

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

Dear GreyHed

Some of the users of the old Yahoo historical data are now using the Excel VBA macro available at signalsolver.com (follow the menu link to EmulateURL). It emulates the old URL and it gives you the option to write the data out as OHLC or as CSV into the worksheet.

If you follow this thread back, you will also see many other solutions including using other providers. Personally, I use Yahoo data because it is more global.

Established 'Hoo

Re: API Yahoo Finance is going to be deprecated in few Year ?? ( Just to get stock list and price)

@Arthus wrote:

Hi Admins and Community,

I want to know if the API Yahoo Finance (To get quote, and stock list) is going to be deprecated in few Year ??

I can see some API services of Yahoo be deprecated ... And i ask me if others ??

I just want to have  stock list and share price on a website by API (For a small website, no a lot's of request).

I'm looking for free API service for this.

My question is Yahoo finance API or others services for the next five year ??

Thank You !

I don't think there is any way to be certain what will happen in five years.   My guess is that we will have something close to what we have today, which is free access via API with several very good providers like Tiingo, Intrinio, and others, but those data providers will have limits on how much data can be downloaded for free, and how often, thereby enticing you to pay for better service with a subscription.   Whether we have Yahoo providing virtually unlimited free access via API for another five years seems unlikely to me, based on changes we have already seen this year.  For light users, that don't consume more than a few seconds of downloaded data every day, it will be hard to extract much of a subscription fee though.  I already have dozens of subscriptions for "information" of all kinds, and many of them I no longer use very much at all, so I have become resistant to signing up for more.  I hope all data providers will continue to serve light users with some levels of free service like we have now.  

Established 'Hoo

Re: API Yahoo Finance is going to be deprecated in few Year ?? ( Just to get stock list and price)

Another provider of historical data I don't see mention of in this thread is Alpha Vantage (alphavantage.com). Data is in JSON format, and they seem to be very committed to keeping it free and high volume. There is also a host of technical indicators you can download. Not sure if it is global like Yahoo.

Andrew

Established 'Hoo

@AZAmbler wrote:

Another provider of historical data I don't see mention of in this thread is Alpha Vantage (alphavantage.com). Data is in JSON format, and they seem to be very committed to keeping it free and high volume. There is also a host of technical indicators you can download. Not sure if it is global like Yahoo.

Andrew

I tried to find the website mentioned above (alphavantage.com), but it gives a 404 error.  Then I discovered the website only works with a .co domain, not the familiar .com domain, which means this website originates in South America (Columbia).  I browsed through the website and it looks okay, though fairly sparse compared to the other data providers, and it has no description of the company or background of the people involved.  I haven't tried to use the API, but I'd like to find some reviews or other user feedback before committing to it. 

Highlighted
New 'Hoo

Hi SkyHog,

Thank you for your answer !!
I'd follow your advice about Tiingo and Intrinio financial data providers. It's works, but ...

I'd make other reasearch and i find a data provider who's name QUANDL.

And, you can find on the like below, the name of our clients : There is in this list : Tiingo and Intrinio.

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*

Then i try QUANDL (with php class availaible) >> It work's very weel !

Now i want to know if you (or someone else) have any experience / information about this provider (QUANDL) ??

Thanks !!

Established 'Hoo

@Arthus wrote:

Hi SkyHog,

Thank you for your answer !!
I'd follow your advice about Tiingo and Intrinio financial data providers. It's works, but ...

I'd make other reasearch and i find a data provider who's name QUANDL.

And, you can find on the like below, the name of our clients : There is in this list : Tiingo and Intrinio.

Then i try QUANDL (with php class availaible) >> It work's very weel !

Now i want to know if you (or someone else) have any experience / information about this provider (QUANDL) ??

Thanks !!

Quandl seems like a credible source, as far as I know.   I had run across them before but I decided not to develop anything in that direction because I didn't see realtime or delayed stock quotes; just historical end-of-day pricing.  Maybe I missed it in my casual review of the API documentation.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to retrieve historical data, as well as quote data that isn't more than 15 minutes delayed.  Right now I have three historical data sources but just two realtime quote sources. 

Established 'Hoo

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the EmulateURL workaround for Yahoo historical data, I have added a second Excel interface to Yahoo Finance historical data using the newer JSON interface URLs (query1.finance.yahoo.com/v7/finance/chart...) . These URLs give near real-time data (for US Stocks) and give OHLC bars from 3months down to 1 minute. Other differences between the two is that there is no dividends, splits (data is already split adjusted) or adj close data for the JSON interface.

Free unlocked spreadsheet and VBA code are at signalsolver.com, follow the menu item to "Stock Data->Excel" under "Yahoo JSON". I hope some of you find it useful.

Andrew MacLean

Algorithm Science

New 'Hoo

Thanks AZAmbler,

I'll try to find the menu and follow it as you suggest:   I'm new to writing Macros to make web calls - been going bongers!

Tony

New 'Hoo

Since the unfortunate demise of the Yahoo finance API I've been using Alpha Vantage.

It's a free stock data API and it works really well.

'Hoo Recruit

Recently has come into existence a new live feed provider called Alpha Vantage that delivers prices with only one minute delay plus tons of time series of intraday, daily and statistical data! 
There even exists an Excel Add-In (100% freeware) called Deriscope 
that fetches both live and historical data from both providers. Both synchronous and asynchronous data fetch is supported. 
Video tutorial on live feeds into Excel *Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*
Video tutorial on historical time series into Excel *Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*