cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
'Hoo Recruit

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

Hi Bravo23,

I use stooq for indices too. I ran into the no data problem too. For me it was because stooq only permitted a very small number of downloads and I hit the limit. So to stay under their limit I made a single call to download and stored all the data in an SQL database table which my application accesses as often as needed. Then with a little code my application only has to make a single call to stooq to get newer data once each month. But monthly data is all I need, I'm not sure if you need daily.
'Hoo Recruit

Thanks Skyhog,

I've found tiingo to be very good. Occasionally I've come across ticker symbols that weren't getting any data but Rishi at tiingo has been amazingly responsive and gets the data feed updated quickly. I'll have to check out Intrinio too. Like you I'm hesitant to go back to yahoo. It's good to know about the new method though, I may build that in as an automated backup source for historical data if tiingo ever has a problem.
'Hoo Recruit

Hi AZAmbler,

I've tried the java example and was able to get results in csv format.

I also found the link below:

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*

which include example of using different link to yahoo which also work without

crumb and without cookie:

The link is query2 instead of query1 and version v8 instead of v7 and some more differences, this link return results in json format.

There is no documentation for either solution and I just wondering till when these solutions/links will be available/accessible. I have automatic job running to fetch the data using one of the links and I guess I can only hope it will be still function?!

Thanks!

New 'Hoo

Bravo23 wrote:

Hi AZAmbler,

I've tried the java example and was able to get results in csv format.

I also found the link below:

which include example of using different link to yahoo which also work without

crumb and without cookie:

The link is query2 instead of query1 and version v8 instead of v7 and some more differences, this link return results in json format.

There is no documentation for either solution and I just wondering till when these solutions/links will be available/accessible. I have automatic job running to fetch the data using one of the links and I guess I can only hope it will be still function?!

Thanks!

Bravo 123 can you please post links in format that will not be deleted

'Hoo Recruit

Hi Mokwit,

There you go:

Link one return csv format and require crumb and cookie:

https_query1.finance.yahoo.com_v7_finance_download_ stockSymbol ?period1=
unixStartDate &period2= unixEndDate &interval= urlInterval &events urlEvents &crumb= crumb

Link two return json format and not require crumb nor cookie:

https_query2.finance.yahoo.com_v8_finance_chart_IBM
?formatted=true&lang=en-US&region=US
&period1=***Phone Number Removed - Learn more***&period2=***Phone Number Removed - Learn more***&interval=1d&events=div%7Csplit&corsDomain=
finance.yahoo.com

Thanks.

'Hoo Recruit

Hi browningfin, 

It's good to hear that you were able to get some results from stooq.

For now I choose to use the yahoo working example, I plan to go live

during 2018 so if the link will work till then, It'll be use in production.

Thanks.

'Hoo Recruit

Hi Bravo23,

That's great. I may reconsider the new JSON API from Yahoo. Thanks for posting those links. Was there Unix dates where it says phone number removed? I assumed yahoo mistook those and scrubbed them.
'Hoo Recruit

Business Daily had a great service, but it was too expensive for my budget

Highlighted
New 'Hoo

API Yahoo Finance is going to be deprecated in few Year ?? ( Just to get stock list and price)

Hi Admins and Community,

I want to know if the API Yahoo Finance (To get quote, and stock list) is going to be deprecated in few Year ??

I can see some API services of Yahoo be deprecated ... And i ask me if others ??

I just want to have  stock list and share price on a website by API (For a small website, no a lot's of request).

I'm looking for free API service for this.

My question is Yahoo finance API or others services for the next five year ??

Thank You !

Tags (1)
New 'Hoo

Historical Stock data is still availble at Yahoo Finance Manual facility. I'm a fundamantal investor and have used that facility for some time.
Historical data I specify are Stock Price, Dividends, & Stock Splits: all over the same time interval and fequency.
I noticed that the current API syntax string, generated to meet my manual specs, is displayed in my browser.
I can capture that syntax and paste it into my broswer and, sure enough, I'm taken to Yahoo Finance with the specified data displayed and waiting for my next instruction.

Recently, I decided to automate my calls by using Excel Macro calls to Yahoo's API. In researching "How-To's", I found that Yahoo has, from time to time, made unpublished changes to its API syntax.

Is it not possible to write a macro that would circumvent this by:
- having my browser call the API using the current syntax string after changing the symbol part as needed for each call, and
- effectively pushing Yahoo's "Download" button so that the retreived CSV date is copied to my PC's "Download" folder?

I've used Excel Macros but not for making Web calls or pushing a button at someones website.
Can someone tell me if this possible? Anyone?