cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
Established 'Hoo

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

@deios wrote:

I've tested several alternatives and found that EODHISTORICALDATA.COM the best one for those who used Yahoo Finance. The services provides raw data, adjusted closes and splits/dividends. They also have CSV output, with very similar format for Yahoo Finance users.

Deios, EODHISTORICALDATA.COM is your service right? You have been promoting it all over the place in this and other forums (using your name deios).  Sometimes you pretend (like your post above) that you just discovered this service and it's great; other times you let slip that it is your service.  I have no problems if you want to promote your service, but why make out that you are a disinterested user when you have a vested interest in the service?  That's devious in my books. My original comments earlier in this thread about this service still stand: no information on data sources, domain only very recently registered (to a Singapore address with fake phone number (I tried it) and Russian contact email, all of which have now been made a "private registration for obvious reasons. Everything about this reeks of scam.  

Established 'Hoo

@npageiam wrote:

@deios wrote:

I've tested several alternatives and found that EODHISTORICALDATA.COM the best one for those who used Yahoo Finance. The services provides raw data, adjusted closes and splits/dividends. They also have CSV output, with very similar format for Yahoo Finance users.

Deios, EODHISTORICALDATA.COM is your service right? You have been promoting it all over the place in this and other forums (using your name deios).  Sometimes you pretend (like your post above) that you just discovered this service and it's great; other times you let slip that it is your service.  I have no problems if you want to promote your service, but why make out that you are a disinterested user when you have a vested interest in the service?  That's devious in my books. My original comments earlier in this thread about this service still stand: no information on data sources, domain only very recently registered (to a Singapore address with fake phone number (I tried it) and Russian contact email, all of which have now been made a "private registration for obvious reasons. Everything about this reeks of scam.  

Agreed. I looked at the service, but I was very leery about subscribing because there was no 'try before buy' feature. One must subscribe before even getting the first full set of data for any particular symbol of your choice.   Only a tiny snapshot is availble for preview.

Pro 'Hoo

I have moved to MarketXLS after this change, much more reliable data.

Established 'Hoo

@Harrymon12 wrote:

Except there is no API with MarketXLS.  It is an Excel Add-In, with a very restricted set of functions that do not allow much user customization, e.g. no VBA.  Even a simple datasort requires the user to copy and paste data from MarketXLS into a separate worksheet so that it can be sorted the way you might want it.  MarketXLS is essentially an excel spreadsheet that has a custom presentation, which might be useful for someone that wants a turnkey system for their portfolio management.   But I just want the historical data so that I can use it for analysis myself, with my own trading strategies, graphs, functions, etc.   MarketXLS truly does look like a one-man shop trying to monetize his own spreadsheet, and it costs $204 per year for the version with historical data.  No free trial to test the data.  MarketXLS might be useful for some people, particularly if one isn't comfortable building an elaborate Excel spreadsheet and wants all that anyway.  However, this spreadsheet add-in is overkill, and underwhelming, as a means to access historical data.   A real API would be much better.

Pro 'Hoo

I have been experiencing similar issues since yesterday. I am conducting a research by using the Yahoo Finance API, and I haven't had any success at downloading the information.

New 'Hoo

Hi waalstreetobser:

Is HSQuote still working as of now - July 7, 2017?

I ask because of all the postings within this forum topic, one of which suggested that a new problem with accessing Yahoo data had occurred sometime in June.  I don't doubt that HSQuote was patched, but is the patch still working?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Pro 'Hoo

yes. i believe Yahoo finance API is not available anymore. I have moved to MarketXLS after this change, much more reliable data.

Established 'Hoo

@Harrymon12 wrote:

yes. i believe Yahoo finance API is not available anymore. I have moved to MarketXLS after this change, much more reliable data.

Harrymon12:  For the past couple of years you have been pushing MarketXLS on multiple forums.  I did a search for Harrymon12 and every single post by you is pushing MarketXLS.  You make out you are just a user. You are not. You have a vested interest in MarketXLS.  No problem with this, but why the charade of "I just found this great service...".  Also you keep on saying "Yahoo finance API is not available anymore.".  This is just not correct.  Yes it changed, but most products on the market have adapted to the new format.  The Yahoo API is still available. Stop saying its not.  

An finally: MarketXLS has not got an API. It's a very restricted Excel add-in. You can't even use it with VBA. Your posts are deceptive, wrong and irrelevant.

Pro 'Hoo

@npageiam wrote:

@Harrymon12 wrote:

Harrymon12:  For the past couple of years you have been pushing MarketXLS on multiple forums.  I did a search for Harrymon12 and every single post by you is pushing MarketXLS.  You make out you are just a user. You are not. You have a vested interest in MarketXLS.  No problem with this, but why the charade of "I just found this great service...".  Also you keep on saying "Yahoo finance API is not available anymore.".  This is just not correct.  Yes it changed, but most products on the market have adapted to the new format.  The Yahoo API is still available. Stop saying its not.  

An finally: MarketXLS has not got an API. It's a very restricted Excel add-in. You can't even use it with VBA. Your posts are deceptive, wrong and irrelevant.

looks like they do have an API

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*

Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

@SkyHog wrote:

@Harrymon12 wrote:

Except there is no API with MarketXLS.  It is an Excel Add-In, with a very restricted set of functions that do not allow much user customization, e.g. no VBA.  Even a simple datasort requires the user to copy and paste data from MarketXLS into a separate worksheet so that it can be sorted the way you might want it.  MarketXLS is essentially an excel spreadsheet that has a custom presentation, which might be useful for someone that wants a turnkey system for their portfolio management.   But I just want the historical data so that I can use it for analysis myself, with my own trading strategies, graphs, functions, etc.   MarketXLS truly does look like a one-man shop trying to monetize his own spreadsheet, and it costs $204 per year for the version with historical data.  No free trial to test the data.  MarketXLS might be useful for some people, particularly if one isn't comfortable building an elaborate Excel spreadsheet and wants all that anyway.  However, this spreadsheet add-in is overkill, and underwhelming, as a means to access historical data.   A real API would be much better.

looks like they do have an API

Search "MarketXLS API" on google.

Since I cannot post link in here. It would be better to do it manually.

Hope it helps. Smiley Happy