cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

SOLVED
'Hoo Recruit

Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?

Well, you can get end of day data from quandl through one of their datavendors for fairly cheap.

Looking at intraday solutions at the moment without much luck.

Established 'Hoo

xignite seems to be one.

Contributin' 'Hoo

Have you looked into the pricing of xignite? I couldn't find any explicit price quotes, but their own description ("Xignite market data APIs are designed for commercial use, and not intended for personal investing needs.") alludes to expensiveness.

At the moment I am still living with the hope that yahoo.finance.historicaldata will return to us yet again. It is not the first time I have been taken by surprise. Less than two months ago I had to migrate from ichart to YQL for HTTP queries overnight.

Administratin' 'Hoo

Hi All - I have reported this to the Finance engineering team.  They will investigate and I will provide an update when I hear back.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
'Hoo Recruit

Thanks! This is a great tool. Hope to have it back soon.

Tags (1)
Administratin' 'Hoo

Hi All - This feature was discontinued by the Finance team and they will not be reintroducing that functionality. 

The Yahoo Finance Feedback Forum is the place where you can make product suggestions and provide feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and use your feedback to inform changes.  Here’s the url: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/382977

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Pro 'Hoo

Well, that finance group is a bunch of....   Yahoos.

Established 'Hoo

I wonder how many of us regular API users there are. 100? 1000? 5000? I bet the # is at the lower end. I'm grateful to Yahoo for making this wonderful free service available for as long as they did (and far longer than I thought they would), but I hope they change their minds and restore it. The intraday data is still available. For now. 

It was a bad omen that Jarloo.com closed the comments to the Yahoo API section.

Maybe Google can be talked into providing a free service comparable to Yahoo's.

Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

oh yeah? 100 API users? How convenient? There are possibly millions. All R programs for analysis work with yahoo API. Amibroker and other programs download yahoo data. I heard there has been effort to shut this service down to direct people to paid services. Yahoo will lose. Millions vistited site because of data. It's a bad move. Yahoo could charge a small fee for API access. I heard but not sure if correct that the exchanges want to charge thousands for API access per user because some want to monopolize data.

Email yahoo and complain everyone. 100 API users? Give me a break. Sounds like you are thanking yahoo for shutting down this.

Yahoo, please reinstate API or at least charge a small fee.

Established 'Hoo

Terrible service! Poor quality data, and just stopping the service without warning is just bad form. The service is heavily used by the MATLAB and R users. I will recommend anyone to avoid yahoo finance from now on.