cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Importing stock prices to EXCEL

Pro 'Hoo

Re: Importing stock prices to EXCEL

Well, I now have restored my ability to login to Yahoo Finance via Edge. However, I'm not sure if it's something I did, or perhaps something Yahoo did. I had most recently been adding Yahoo.com to my Trusted Sites in MS IE 11, which I understand carries through to MS Edge. After doing so, I found that I could finally login to Yahoo Finance via Edge. Unfortunately, this did not solve my real problem--which is to re-establish my ability to import data from Yahoo Finance (My Portfolios) into Excel via Excel's Web Queries. My hypothesis had been that my inability to login to Yahoo Finance via Edge was the underlying problem. Now that hypothesis has been proven false. When I edit my embedded web query (to Yahoo Finance's My Portfolios) in Excel, all I see is a blank space. Perhaps I'm making progress, but still searching for a solution.

Pro 'Hoo

So frustrating - I might just have to abandon yahoo finance - this is like the third time they have killed me with nonsense like this

Pro 'Hoo

Same issue for me - I am wondering if this is worthwhile at all :-( 

New 'Hoo

I'm having the same problem and I can't find anywhere to contact the programmers outside this forum.  Also looking for another financial website, but can't find anything as good as Yahoo that works.  Maybe we need to organize a march LOL

Pro 'Hoo

My Yahoo finance queries from Excel stopped working last night (4/28/17) after working for years.  If I paste the query into my browser (Safari) it returns results, but it does not return results with Excel.   I have not changed anything.   I'm guessing this is a Yahoo problem, but I'm confused about the inconsistent timing of eveyone's issue listed here . . . .

Established 'Hoo

Ditto here.  AFAICT, this is due to yahoo changing their layout so the financial info we seek is now presented in an iframe, rather than a table html element.  One of the moderators on the Microsoft support site mentions that Excel can't pull data from an iframe via a web query.  Hence an Excel web query for a stock quote like: https://finance.yahoo.com/quotes/AAPL,F,T/view/v1 pulls up nothing (being inside a frame element), where as the same URL in a browser will pull up stock quotes for APPL, F, & T tickers.

Now I'm looking into a work-around via microsoft money site (which has its own problems, I know) or dynamically importing a comma delimited format of the stocks I want to track via yahoo.  VBA is another path I may pursue if I must.  I don't hold out much hope that Yahoo will bring back their old Excel friendly financial web page layout.

The following references may help:  Yahoo is going to redact any offsite links I happen to post, so here's hoping the site descriptions will provide interested parties enough info to find the sites on thier own via their favorite Internet searcher.

Celeste's post in the Microsoft Excel support forums mentions the iframe / table issue. The thread is titled:

Import Data from Balance Sheets Published on Yahoo Finance

An Excel University web page titled: MSN MoneyCentral IQY Web Query

Provides info on setting up Excel .iqy files to import data from Yahoo Finance (broken as reported for now) or MSN Money Central (which is operational once more after a hiatus awhile back, but with its own ongoing issues, flakily fed by Morningstar).

An alternate method of grabbing web data from Yahoo, via comma delimited files, on a rather promising page titled:

web connecting csv files as external data to excel spreadsheet from Kim Gentes.

Established 'Hoo

Just adding that I'm not seeing a way to access the iframe element directly as a URL, but if that's possible, it may provide us a path toward restoring functionality to our Excel web queries to Yahoo Finance.

Pro 'Hoo

I did try a csv query today which does still work. It looks like I'll need to do via a macro to enable csv to excel row cells convert, but it does represent a workaround.
Pro 'Hoo

I did try a csv query today which does work. It looks like I'll need to do via a macro to enable csv to excel cell convert, but it does represent a workaround.
Established 'Hoo

Glad to hear it, AdrianCos. I also enjoyed some success today with the comma delimited file approach. Things got even better once I realized I really did need to turn off the prompt for a text query's data range properties, as Kim's article above suggested. If you're using the auto refresh, you might also want to dial the frequency of the refreshes down or even off, since one is prompted for one's yahoo login info each time it updates.

For anyone else interested, here's an example of a text based excel query that downloads stock data in a comma delimited format:

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=AAPL,GOOG,YHOO&f=sl1d1t1c1ohgv&e=.csv

Data columns returned (for Apple, Google, and Yahoo):

Symbol,Last Trade (Price Only),Last Trade Date,Last Trade Time,Change,Open,Day's High,Day's Low,Volume

I imagine one will be limited in how long an Excel text query can be, either by the number of characters (I'm guessing 256), or number of ticker symbols (I'd guess no more than 25) in the query, or both.

If you want more customized query results, do a search on "Yahoo! Finance: URL Download to a CSV File" from the Canbike site. It parses out the various yahoo download url parameters, and explains the keys that produce different query results. Only caveat I found in the info presented there was having my multi-stock yahoo queries fail if I changed the [FILENAME] parameter to anything other than the default quotes.csv.