cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

How do you interpret the "Day Range" column in portfolios?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

How do you interpret the "Day Range" column in portfolios?

Is there an explanation somewhere?  You'd think the blue line is the day range and the little thingie above it is the closing price, but that obviously isn't the case.

With the new "experience", Yahoo turned a nearly perfect website feature into a nearly useless POS.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Administratin' 'Hoo

Re: How do you interpret the "Day Range" column in portfolios?

The blue line represents the difference between the open price and the close price. The arrow at the top shows the close price. If it's to the left the stock is lower than at the start of the day and if it's to the right the stock gained from the open price.  The gray area is the day's low and high.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
13 REPLIES
Administratin' 'Hoo

The blue line represents the difference between the open price and the close price. The arrow at the top shows the close price. If it's to the left the stock is lower than at the start of the day and if it's to the right the stock gained from the open price.  The gray area is the day's low and high.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Pro 'Hoo

Thanks.  The gray part of the line doesn't have enough contrast to show up in the Chrome browser (at least on my computer/monitor).  Maybe it's better in Edge or Firefox.  

At least it makes sense now, but I'd prefer to just have the numbers for Hi, Low, Open, Last.

I'll stick by my previous comment on the overall change, though.  It was great, so there was no reason to futz around with it.

'Hoo Recruit

Hello, after reviewing your explanation, I'm still not fully understanding the line chart in the colum Day Range in My Portfolios.  There is a grey line from the low price of the day on the left to the high price of the day on the right.  But in this grey line there is a blue line which can be to the right or left or anywhere in between of those two prices in the grey line.  And there is also a blue teardrop or parachute symbol above the blue line which appears to be the current price.  If the blue line wasn't shown, I would interpret the blue teardrop symbol to the be current price within the two range prices on the grey line.  But the blue line within the grey line confuses this concept.  Can you explain it a bit more clear?  Thanks.

'Hoo Recruit

Or another way to ask the question, what does the length of the blue line within the grey line, and also the location of the blue line within the grey line represent represent?  Some blue lines are very short, others are long, some are to the left, some to the right, some in the middle.  Thanks.

'Hoo Recruit

I am right where you are. Confused. Did you get an answer? That previous answer didnt make sense to me either.. 

'Hoo Recruit

Still dont get it. The blue bullet means what close - the previous day? How do High, Low, Last, and Open fit into this? You dont mention current or last price. How do you interpret during mkt hours? 

New 'Hoo

I'm with you, and the same problem exists with the 52-wk range.

I continue to be confused as to the meaning of the blue lines.

'Hoo Recruit

It looks to me like the blue line represents opening price, and the drop symbol indicates where the price is right now.
So, if the drop symbol is to the right of the blue line, price is increasing, and if the drop symbol is to the left of the blue line price is decreasing, from the opening price of the day.
The grey sets the boundaries, to the left most you have days low and to the right you have the days high.

'Hoo Recruit

The grey line is the day's range. Tear-drop is the current price; it is on one end of the blue line. The other end of the blue line is the closing price of the previous day.