cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
We have planned maintenance Sep 28, Midnight to 4 am PT. We don't anticipate any downtime.

Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

How do I show cash gain on my portfolio?

Contributin' 'Hoo

How do I show cash gain on my portfolio?

I know how to add a $$CASH position in my portfolio, but if I put in say $100 and the Cost Basis as $1 it does not show a gain of $99, which it should. I can leave the Cost Basis empty and in that case it should not calculate a gain. But if I did some other transactions and want to show a gain of cash only, and include that in my Total Gain % in my portfolio, it is not currently possible. Unless I am mistaken, please let me know.

4 REPLIES
Finance All-star

Re: How do I show cash gain on my portfolio?

@AlainBenz

YF never shows a gain/loss for the $$CASH holding in a portfolio. It makes no difference what value you input into the Cost Basis field. Most users just enter 1 in the field.

Screenshot 2017-12-01 at 9.34.09 PM.pngtest portfolio

Contributin' 'Hoo

I realize that's how it works now, but it used to work in the old Yahoo Portfolios. If you put nothing in on the Cost basis, then yes, it's just a static cash position. But if you put in a Cost Basis, then in the old Portfolios it would include that gain in Total Change and then use it to calculate the overall portfolio pecentage gain.

Makes sense, no? If it Costs you $1 and now it's $100 you should have a $99 Gain.

Otherwise if you want to show some gains or losses after selling a position, how do you do it? I like to keep a running total of gains/losses so I can see overall performance over the year.

New 'Hoo

So can somebody change this back the way it used to be? My overall gain is inaccurate now because of this.

Administratin' 'Hoo

@Not8EYet - The Yahoo Finance Feedback Forum is the place where you can make product suggestions and provide feedback. We’re always trying to improve our products and use your feedback to inform changes.  Here’s the url: https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/382977  Thank you.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!