cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Temporary Error 14 resolved itself, but now...

SOLVED
Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

Temporary Error 14 resolved itself, but now...

For years, if not a decade now, I was getting temporary error 14 on every device I used to access my email. I had posted numerous times over the years asking for help to resolve the issue but got nothing. I had unfortunately written off my Yahoo email account. Today, after hearing my wife's account suddenly lost all the emails that it contained, I thought I'd check my account again. Lo and behold, my phone still saw temporary error 14. I tried from my desktop and I was able get to my inbox! Sweet! Suddenly, I can use my phone to get to my inbox, too. Progress! I tested in and outbound email and it works. But, one thing. A big but. The inbox is completely empty except for the tests I made. Is there any way to recover these old emails? I feel like I'm one step away from memory lane and being able to use my original account again. Any help appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Temporary Error 14 resolved itself, but now...

Greetings @syb3r

Yahoo requires that you sign into your account at least once every 12 months in order for it to remain active.  Otherwise your account is deactivated due to inactivity.  What happens when you try to recover this account later is that Yahoo may be able to recover your Yahoo account because your email address is just a name after all but it's unable to recover the email inbox associated with this email address.  The system will try to create a new email inbox and if successful it will link that to your account.  This new email inbox will be blank.  There is no way to recover the emails that were previously in this account other than sending an email to the people that had sent the emails you wish to recover and ask them to forward copies of the emails to you.

I suspect the reason you received no help is before Yahoo made a change in their system there was really nothing that could be done.  See this article for more info on this issue.

Be sure you know what the email address associated with this account is.  I would send an email to another account and see if you can reply to it. 

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue
Pro 'Hoo

Understood. However, the only reason I left yahoo was because I was no longer a able to access it. I logged in daily so not sure why it would have been considered inactive. I was forced to either open a new yahoo account or one from a other company. I didn't think I'd be able to retrieve the emails, but it would have been nice.
2 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @syb3r

Yahoo requires that you sign into your account at least once every 12 months in order for it to remain active.  Otherwise your account is deactivated due to inactivity.  What happens when you try to recover this account later is that Yahoo may be able to recover your Yahoo account because your email address is just a name after all but it's unable to recover the email inbox associated with this email address.  The system will try to create a new email inbox and if successful it will link that to your account.  This new email inbox will be blank.  There is no way to recover the emails that were previously in this account other than sending an email to the people that had sent the emails you wish to recover and ask them to forward copies of the emails to you.

I suspect the reason you received no help is before Yahoo made a change in their system there was really nothing that could be done.  See this article for more info on this issue.

Be sure you know what the email address associated with this account is.  I would send an email to another account and see if you can reply to it. 

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue
Pro 'Hoo

Understood. However, the only reason I left yahoo was because I was no longer a able to access it. I logged in daily so not sure why it would have been considered inactive. I was forced to either open a new yahoo account or one from a other company. I didn't think I'd be able to retrieve the emails, but it would have been nice.