cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Suddenly error "554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons" for ymail address

Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Suddenly error "554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons" for ymail address

Since yesterday mails from my ymail.com address come back with the error "554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons." when I send messages to other yahoo addresses (messages to Gmail addresses return a different error).

Please help, because this effectively makes my ymail.com address unusable.

Clients are Apple's OS X Mail client and in Mail on my iPhone.

• Mail iOS App
16 REPLIES
'Hoo Recruit

Re: Suddenly error "554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons" for ymail address

I'm having the same issue.  It looks to me like the Yahoo DMARC policy isn't working for ymail.com addresses because there is no SPF record available for the ymail.com domain in DNS.

Transcript of nslookup session below. i.e. the SPF record can be found for the yahoo.com domain but not for ymail.com.

nslookup - ns1.yahoo.com
> set type=txt
> yahoo.com
Server:		ns1.yahoo.com
Address:	6***Phone Number Removed***

yahoo.com	text = "v=spf1 redirect=_spf.mail.yahoo.com"
> ymail.com
Server:		ns1.yahoo.com
Address:	6***Phone Number Removed***

*** Can't find ymail.com: No answer

• I am sending mail using my ymail.com address from macOS Mail through the normal Yahoo mail servers.
  • The messages are being DKIM signed by the Yahoo mail servers.
  • There is a valid DMARC record containing a reject policy (p=reject) which instructs receiving email domains enforcing DMARC to reject the message.
  • There is a valid DKIM key at s1024._domainkey.ymail.com
  • BUT there is no SPF record available in DNS for the ymail.com domain so it is failing the DMARC check.Smiley Sad

This means that any messages sent from ymail.com addreses to domains that are enforcing DMARC (or even just SPF) will be rejected by the receiving email server until Yahoo fix the issue by implementing a valid SPF record (or fixing DNS so the SPF record can be found) for the ymail.com domain.

This is the error I'm getting back from the Yahoo outbound email server when trying to send to a Hotmail address:

Remote host said: 550 5.7.0 (BAY004-MC3F38) Unfortunately, messages from (46.228.39.86) on behalf of ymail.com could not be delivered due to domain owner policy restrictions.

pmr
'Hoo Recruit

Re: Suddenly error "554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons" for ymail address

My husband is experiencing the same problem with his ymail address. Although it works fine on my ymail address. What is the story with all this? Does this mean he cannot use his ymail anymore?
'Hoo Recruit

@ jonnywade: Thanks for the (very complete) reply, Gmail returns a comparable error: "Unauthenticated email from ymail.com is not accepted due to domain's 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy."

I'm using El Capitan (10.11.6) with OS X Mail 9.3 and iOS 10.2.

But I agree with you. looks like Yahoo is the culprit here, and we can't do anything about it.

How do we reach Yahoo to let them know about this problem?

@ pmr: Interesting that you don'y have the problem, looks like some ymail mailaddresses are 'spared'.

I guess we'll just have to wait until Yahoo sorts out this problem, I don't think there's anything we can do about it...  :-(

'Hoo Recruit

Some outbound emails will still work but it depends entirely on whether the receiving email domain has implemented DMARC (or SPF).  If they are blocking based on either it will fail.  Big providers (Gmail, Hotmail etc.) will definitely be blocking any emails sent from ymail.com addresses until Yahoo fix their DNS.

Hopefully one of the Yahoo moderators will pick up this thread and get it fixed.

'Hoo Recruit

I am having the same problem as you guys, I am using Outlook on windows for the record.

Apparently when sending from the yahoo mail website the problem disappears but this is a short term solution.

I am sure most of you like me have several email accounts and use a software to manage and keep track of all emails.

I also tried contacting yahoo through facebook (yahoo france), hoping to get their attention on this problem, I'd recommend everybody tries contacting them to get their attention on the problem!

Best of luck to you all

'Hoo Recruit

Yes sending through the Yahoo webmail works but sending from an email client doesn't.  The header in the email is different when sending from the website but this gives an SPF result of 'neutral' which seems to be enough to satisfy the DMARC rule:

dkim=pass header.i=@ymail.com;
spf=neutral (google.com: 9***Phone Number Removed***s neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of ***@ymail.com) smtp.mailfrom=***@ymail.com;
dmarc=pass (p=REJECT sp=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=ymail.com

Sending to the same address from macOS Mail results in a rejection as follows:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<*@gmail.com>:
64.233.167.26 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from ymail.com is not accepted due to domain's
550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of ymail.com domain if
550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the
550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. j140si24451542wmg.23 - gsmtp
New 'Hoo

I have simular issue its happened three times when I'm sending an email to a sender and then attaching bc it's sending email failure notices when I attach on bc. I'm sending important emails and it's failing to gmail and yahoo and others I've been sending to these email every week for the last 6 yrs to these people at these address in this format so why is this
happening now?
This is what I have been sent in the failure email, I've taken out the original email
addresses for privacy to the people concerned and myself.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<**Username Removed**@sky.com>:
***Phone Number Removed***y reasons. See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN***Phone Number Removed***ymail.com is not accepted due to d...

See the community guidelines for more information.* to learn about the
550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. t84si6263566wmb.165 - gsmtp

<**Username Removed**@gmail.com>:
***Phone Number Removed***ymail.com is not accepted due to domain's
550-5.7.1 *URL Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.* to learn about the
550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. c19si4198411wrc.***Phone Number Removed***ymail.com is not accepted due to domain's
550-5.7.1 *URL Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.* to learn about the
550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. o39si4248416wrc.***Phone Number Removed***y, messages from (4***Phone Number Removed***) on behalf of (ymail.com) could not be delivered due to domain owner policy restrictions.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path:
<myemaildelete for **Username Removed**@ymail.com>
Received: (qmail 9321 invoked from network); 19 Jan 2017 12:16:08 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=***Phone Number Removed***;

Administratin' 'Hoo

Thank you all for reporting this issue. We believe its linked to this issue and are investigating it in the same way. We will provide an update when one is available.

Use the 'accepted solution' button to let everyone know your issue was resolved! You can also give 'kudos' if you agree with someone's post or appreciate their input. Points are awarded for these actions. Contest are held regularly too! Check out the 'Announcements' boards for the latest details.
'Hoo Recruit

I saw in the other thread (link right above this post) that it seems to be resolved.

Tried again to send mail from yesterday, and things seems to be working fine again! Smiley Happy