cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Cannot use Yahoo Mail when using Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 box

SOLVED
Pro 'Hoo

Cannot use Yahoo Mail when using Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 box

For a long time now I am unable to open Yahoo Mail when using IE 11 on my Win 10 laptop.  When I try to go to mail, the address bar, displaying the yahoo mail URL, flickers and takes me nowhere.  I have to kill IE to escape.

Yahoo Mail works fine on Google Chrome but a few other things that I use most often do not totally work on Chrome so I prefer IE as my default browser.

Any ideas ho to make Yahoo Mail work on IE?  

(It works fine on my wife's computer using Win 10 and IE 11 - same release level of each.)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Moderatin' 'Hoo

Re: Cannot use Yahoo Mail when using Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 box

Internet Explorer (IE) isn't included in the list of supported browsers because Microsoft no longer supports IEMicrosoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for older versions of IE. 

You may click any of the browser names below to download the latest versions.

Pro 'Hoo

So, the "SOLUTION" is that Windows does not support IE hence I cannot use YAHOO MAIL on IE.

SO LONG YAHOO!

I've used Yahoo.com as home page and Yahoo mail for years.

The new format of Yahoo's Financial page is terrible, mail won't work on IE.  Guess I need to find a new home page and mail service.  Already changed to a different financial page.

12 REPLIES
Moderatin' 'Hoo

Internet Explorer (IE) isn't included in the list of supported browsers because Microsoft no longer supports IEMicrosoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for older versions of IE. 

You may click any of the browser names below to download the latest versions.

Pro 'Hoo

So, the "SOLUTION" is that Windows does not support IE hence I cannot use YAHOO MAIL on IE.

SO LONG YAHOO!

I've used Yahoo.com as home page and Yahoo mail for years.

The new format of Yahoo's Financial page is terrible, mail won't work on IE.  Guess I need to find a new home page and mail service.  Already changed to a different financial page.

Pro 'Hoo

09-19-2016 08:48 AM

Re: Why has Yahoo switched me back to Basic mail when my browser has not changed

[ New ]

@seacoastgal, you can fix this easily. On your PC, open the TOOLS menu (Alt + T). click "Compatibility View Settings". uncheck "Use Microsoft Compatibility Lists". You will get your Full Featured Yahoo Mail. For some reason, Yahoo is seeing IE11 as being IE7 which is ancient. So it switches you to Basic.

Tags (1)
New 'Hoo

good fix

New 'Hoo

Maybe a good fix for you but it didn't work for my wife's PC. Latest Windows 10 updtae has locked Yahoo mail in Basic version and NOTHING will change it.

Of course zero help from Yahoo, where you can't even FIND support.

New 'Hoo

I have the same issue and can't find the answer.  No chat or phone help from Yahoo.

Mail All-star

@pmcrosby, the problem seems to be associated with the Anniversary Edition Windows 10 (update?). It locks you into Basic. Unchecking "use microsoft compatibility lists" is the one thing that has worked but now you are saying that it didn't work for you. This is happening to a lot of people. Yahoo now says that IE11 is "unsupported". I am not a Yahoo employee.
New 'Hoo

@luwiluwi wrote:

09-19-2016 08:48 AM

Re: Why has Yahoo switched me back to Basic mail when my browser has not changed

[ New ]

@seacoastgal, you can fix this easily. On your PC, open the TOOLS menu (Alt + T). click "Compatibility View Settings". uncheck "Use Microsoft Compatibility Lists". You will get your Full Featured Yahoo Mail. For some reason, Yahoo is seeing IE11 as being IE7 which is ancient. So it switches you to Basic.

THIS worked beautifully for me. I would never have gessed it. Kudos!!!

'Hoo Recruit

Didn't work for me. I'm shocked that MS isn't supporting IE anymore. It's THEIR browser. I guess they're conceding defeat in the browser wars.

I'm using W-7 btw