cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Why do people play week 17????

Bold 'Hoo

Why do people play week 17????

Now I'm not dissing anyone that is playing week 17 but after reading the start/sit questions on here and on facebook i

8 REPLIES
Bold 'Hoo

Re: Why do people play week 17????

LOl. well I messed that post up. But what I was saying was all this week I've been seeing questions by people about who to play because their starters are most likely gonna sit. Which makes me ask the question why even play week 17? Especially when you have to worry if your stud players are even going to play? I just don't understand why people still play week 17.  Can someone enlighten me?

Contributin' 'Hoo

I can speak for everyone. No wait, I can't. But I can speak for myself.

I am not the commissioner of any leagues. Therefore I have no control over the schedule. I play in two leagues where I know the commissioners and the same players come back each year. One of those ends week 16, so there's one league I play in that doesn't go to 17; the other does.

I also play in some of those anonymous non-customizable public leagues, 'cause you know, sometimes two just ain't enough. They have two-week semis and finals, weeks 14-15 and 16-17. So, again, not up to me.

Because week 17 stinks so bad, I prefer leagues to end with week 16. But sometimes they just don't, so when they don't, I just roll with it and try to put the best team I can out there.

Pro 'Hoo Helper

It is like Kevin says.  You play the hand you are dealt.  ESPN has a 4 week playoff which includes the last NFL week. I plan on Commishing a couple of ESPN leagues next year and will be looking into how much flexibility there is in changing that. I am always looking for ways to make these leagues more interesting so I am open to hearing ideas on how to do that.

'Hoo Helper

Some people say it tests the knowledge of fantasy players cuz they have to make tougher decisions week 17. But to me if Leveon Bell, Kareem Hunt etc got you to the finals you should be able to play those guys for the championship. I mean the NFL doesn't work like this but I'd rather have a setting where you can't play any of your top dogs for week 5 or something, but not the Championship. In short it's the dumbest thing ever, and I would advocate that all fantasy sights outlaw week 17 championships because so many players that got you there aren't even playing... Drafting Malcolm Brown would have been a great pick looking back at it. lol.

Bold 'Hoo

johnsonal2001 wrote:

It is like Kevin says.  You play the hand you are dealt.  ESPN has a 4 week playoff which includes the last NFL week. I plan on Commishing a couple of ESPN leagues next year and will be looking into how much flexibility there is in changing that. I am always looking for ways to make these leagues more interesting so I am open to hearing ideas on how to do that.

I've been the commish of an ESPN league for 5 years now and we don't play week 17.  You can customize it anyway you want. I guess most people don't realize that you can change it. lol.

Pro 'Hoo Helper

Yes, that was what I was going to look into doing when I become President. I am also going to look into changing the wavier execution day. 

Contributin' 'Hoo

You can also change the waiver execution day. In the "with people" leagues I mentioned, our commishes set the day to Wednesday night (or Thursday morning, not sure how best to describe it), which is a day later than the site's default setting.

Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo Helper

That is what I am looking to do is to move it back to late Wed night or early Thurs morning.