cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Fantasy hockey playoff format options

SOLVED
Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Fantasy hockey playoff format options

I see that this isn't an option, but it would be great if you had the option to have an 8-team playoff bracket for 3 weeks, and the remaining teams can be in a consolation bracket, or round robin.  I changed to the 8-team bracket last year and was surprised when my bottom feeders complained about no consolation...would hate to have players miss three weeks of fantasy hockey.  I don't like the 6-team format, which does afford a consolation bracket, since it gives bye weeks.  Most of my players just want to play week-in, week-out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rookie All-star

Re: Fantasy hockey playoff format options

@hickster9  With the 8-team playoff setting, there is no consolation bracket for teams seeded 9 and below.  

@musicthirsty  With the 8-team playoffs, the "Consolation" bracket ends up being the losers of all of the 1st round playoff games.  There are no consolation games for the teams that fail to qualify for the playoffs.

4 REPLIES
Sports All-star

I'm not sure I understand your OP.  I play an 8 team playoff every year and every year there is a consolation side as well as the championship side.  I don't know how I could even set the league to NOT have a consolation component.  Make your league publicly viewable, post league ID and let someone help you.  That certainly doesn't sound right.

'Hoo Recruit

Yeah, I thought it was weird too.

In 2016 I had 14 teams, top 6 in playoffs, 7-12 in consolation.  I think I chose the 6-team playoff format this time.

In 2017, I had 12 teams.  Top 8 made playoffs.  The 4 teams that lost the first week of the playoffs were relegated to consolation bracket in which they played for two weeks (semifinals and then a 5th place and 7th place game).  Teams 9-12 didn't get to play in playoffs at all.

This year I have 12 teams.  I would like the top 8 to be in the playoffs (3 weeks) and 9-12 to be in consolation rounds (likely with a bye week the first week of playoffs)  My league ID is 29980

Rookie All-star

@hickster9  With the 8-team playoff setting, there is no consolation bracket for teams seeded 9 and below.  

@musicthirsty  With the 8-team playoffs, the "Consolation" bracket ends up being the losers of all of the 1st round playoff games.  There are no consolation games for the teams that fail to qualify for the playoffs.

Sports All-star

@choppa1986, now THAT I understand.  In that case, I see the value of a consolation round for the others, but I would want a roster freeze so that the championship side is not affected by someone battling out the 11-12 matchup.  In the real leagues, if you don't make the playoffs, you're done.