cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Unwanted folder

SOLVED
'Hoo Recruit

Unwanted folder

How do I stop emails from going into the unwanted folder?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pro 'Hoo

Re: Unwanted folder

Hi Laura,

I did a little bit of research, and realized for me, it's got nothing to do with Yahoo.  I hope this helps but for me it was the email settings on my android phone, I had created some Spam filters on my Yahoo email account on the android email app, anything that fits within the criteria of that spam filter will go into the "Unwanted" folder.  For example I had stupidly included "*@yahoo.com" as for the reason my some of the messages being sent to me were going into the "Unwanted" folder.

As you go through the filter just delete anything that might include what should not be spam.

Hope that helps you cuz it's solved my problem, if not your phone check all the other devices you use with your email account.

D

7 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

@Laura2005, are they going into a folder you have made?  See if you set a filter to send mail to that folder.  See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/filters-sort-organize-incoming-email-sln15994.html?impres...

If they are going into a system folder such as spam, simply right click and choose "not spam" on those that are not spam.  That will move it to the inbox and train the spam filter.

If this isn't helpful, please post again and state what mail is going to what unwanted folder.  Thanks.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
'Hoo Recruit

No.  I did not make this folder, nor did I know it existed until important emails were going missing and I was missing meetings and things.  Finally I searched for people's emails by their name and found a bunch of emails labeled "unwanted."  They are not labeled spam and there is no option that I can see to uncheck them as unwanted.  Today my mail profile looked a little different and for the first time I actually saw the folder labeled "unwanted" on my mail page (bottom left under the folders that I actually made but highlighted as if it were the start of a new category, not one that I had made.) When I opened it, there were all sorts of emails in there that I needed and thought never came.  It's very frustrating!

'Hoo Recruit

No.  I did not make this folder, nor did I know it existed until important emails were going missing and I was missing meetings and things.  Finally I searched for people's emails by their name and found a bunch of emails labeled "unwanted."  They are not labeled spam and there is no option that I can see to uncheck them as unwanted.  Today my mail profile looked a little different and for the first time I actually saw the folder labeled "unwanted" on my mail page (bottom left under the folders that I actually made but highlighted as if it were the start of a new category, not one that I had made.) When I opened it, there were all sorts of emails in there that I needed and thought never came.  It's very frustrating!

Also, I'm not sure how to check for filters but I did go into settings and checked blocked email and filters and nothing shows up in the box.

'Hoo Recruit

It will even sometimes send replies that I have sent to other people into that folder.

Mail Pro All-star

@Laura2005, "Unwanted" is not a system folder, so someone had to add it.  I have a couple of suggestions though which might help.

Open your unwanted folder and move any emails you want to save to another folder, even "inbox" will do temporarily.  Move the ones you don't want to trash, and empty trash, then right click and remove the unwanted folder.

Then I would look to see if you have any strange sign ins to your account.  See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/recent-login-activity-yahoo-account-sln2073.html?impressions=true

If you do I'd secure your account.  Follow the steps here:  https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/recognize-secure-hacked-yahoo-mail-account-sln2090.html?impression...

If the problem continues, please post again.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
Pro 'Hoo

Hi Laura,

I did a little bit of research, and realized for me, it's got nothing to do with Yahoo.  I hope this helps but for me it was the email settings on my android phone, I had created some Spam filters on my Yahoo email account on the android email app, anything that fits within the criteria of that spam filter will go into the "Unwanted" folder.  For example I had stupidly included "*@yahoo.com" as for the reason my some of the messages being sent to me were going into the "Unwanted" folder.

As you go through the filter just delete anything that might include what should not be spam.

Hope that helps you cuz it's solved my problem, if not your phone check all the other devices you use with your email account.

D

New 'Hoo

I have exactly the same issue with the Unwanted folder showing.  I've emptied and deleted it only to have it reappear again.  Checked all filters on both my computer and phone and both show that I do not have any set up.

I never originally set it up and want it gone but so far no one has come up with why it's showing up nor how to delete it once and for all.