cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Unable to send yahoo emails to myself on iphone and ipad

SOLVED
Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

Unable to send yahoo emails to myself on iphone and ipad

I saw this thread elsewhere, marked resolved  yet there was no answer, so I will start a new topic

Since last week, I suddenly am not able to send emails to myself via the mail app on iphone or ipad. I've done this for years, as I way to send myself reminders. I rely heavily on my yahoo mail account.  The issue does not happen on my windows laptop or mac laptop using a browser. Sending email to any other address but my own works. 

I was considering deleting the yahoo account off of my phone and re entering, but see that the same problem exists on my ipad, so the issue is either with yahoo or apple. Again this used to work, and suddenly stopped.

I am using an iphone 8 running IOS 11.1.2 on the ATT network. It fails with wifi as well. When I try to send an email to myself, an error is instantly returned, "Cannot send mail - A copy has been placed in the outbox. The recipient **Username Protected**@yahoo.com was rejected by the server".

Same issue on iPad with this account. No issues with my other email accounts on either iphone or ipad.

Please help!

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: Unable to send yahoo emails to myself on iphone and ipad

Our engineers are still investigating. updates will be posted here in Community once available. 

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
34 REPLIES
Moderatin' 'Hoo

@surfun

Have you checked the IMAP settings on the devices and made sure they match the ones in this article?

Here's an article regarding the emails stuck in the Outbox folder.

If possible, can you try sending an email from your device by using the Yahoo Mail App and see if you receive any error messages?

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Check out the "Known issues and updates" boards for the latest details.
Established 'Hoo

AdrianD

Thanks for your quick response.

First, I downloaded the yahoo mail app, and can send emails to myself, just as I can from the browser. 

With regard to verifying the settings, the yahoo accounts on my phone and ipad were setup by selecting the "yahoo" option that Apple provides. I have not manually entered the details for the incoming or outgoing servers. In fact, with this newer version of IOS, it is hard to even see and verify all the details in your article.

For the outbound server, this is what I am able to see:

name: my correct name

email: my correct yahoo email address, fully qualified

The outgoing mail server is SMTP and the "Yahoo SMTP Server"

The server filed is selected, green

the host name is Yahoo SMTP server

User name optional (and greyed out)

password optional (and greyed out)

Use SSL is selected, green

Authentication  OAuth2.0 Token

Server port 465

Nothing is visible for the incoming server, but that is working fine.

The article should be updated to reflect the new IOS settings, but this is all that I can see unless there is some other way to compare.

thank you

Pro 'Hoo

i have same problem on phone AND laptop. obviously a yahoo problem, not apple. fix this yahoo !!!
Pro 'Hoo

i have deleted deleted and reset etc etc. tried everything. only yahoo, not my other accounts. i guess yahoo too lazy to monitor this chat
Official 'Hoo Staff

@surfun

I would try removing and re-adding the account to the app. If you use the "Yahoo" automated setup option in iOS, it tends to hide the advanced settings once the account is added.

@lindentarver

It looks like you were able to send emails yesterday. Are you still getting an error when sending today? What phone do you access Yahoo from and what app are you using to do so?

Pro 'Hoo

i HAVE deleted and re-set up. this is via the iphone method. but the problem exists on the laptop also.

i CAN send emails, the PROBLEM is, i cannot send to myself. a yahoo problem.
Official 'Hoo Staff

@lindentarver

I checked out the account and everything seems to be in order. I was able to send a test email from the account to itself without any issues. If needed, I would try clearing the cache in your browser and using a supported web browser like Firefox or Chrome.

Established 'Hoo

@Scootermobile

Thanks for your response. I can try deleting the account and re-adding, but I do think it will be a waste of time. It seems odd to me that this behavior broke on the same day on both my  iphone and ipad. It seems unreasonable to think that the mail apps on both devices became corrupt simultaneously. It does seem that something changed with yahoo whereby the yahoo server immediately rejects any email if it contains my address. (either my address alone, or anywhere on the to or cc line).  I also don't think anything is wrong with the mail app because it is perfectly capable of sending emails to any other person, just not me. 

I suppose as a last ditch I can delete the account and re-add, but it's a bit of a hassle and the evidence sure points elsewhere.

Pro 'Hoo

it says “ rejected by server “. this happens on an iphone , either the iphone email in “ settings” or direct internet connect to yahoo.

ONLY iphone. obviously chrome etc are not applicable.

do you READ. this is about sending email to myself on iphone. i have done this easily for YEARS. only last few weeks has there been a problem. i have deleted and re-entered account etc.

it probably has something to do with recent updates to iphone ios.

yahoo has no research or tech working with apple to prevent/fix these problems