cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Unable to send email from outlook

SOLVED
Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Unable to send email from outlook

This issue started 5 days ago. Everything was working well with Outlook until then. No settings were changed.

When I send an email message from outlook it only gets sent when outlook starts.

If I send email messages after I have started up outlook it never goes out. I keep seeing the syncrhozing subscribed folders and this never gets completed. 

I am using Windows 10 and Outlook 2016

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: Unable to send email from outlook

Some older third-party email apps (that do not use our Yahoo branded sign in page) require you to enter a single password for login credentials. If you've activated two-step verification or Account Key for your Yahoo account, you'll need to generate and use an "app password" to access Yahoo Mail from these apps.

1. Sign in and go to your Account security page.
  2. Click Generate app password or Manage app passwords.
  3. Select your app from the drop down menu and click Generate.
  4. Follow the instructions below the password.
  5. Click Done.
  6. Use this app password and your email address to sign in to your email app.
If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
8 REPLIES
'Hoo Recruit

Same for me in Thunderbird in the last few days.  I was about to reply to this old thread I was participating in a couple of months ago re: the very same issue: https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Sending/We-encountered-issue-while-sending-message/td-p/347976/page/4

Why are Yahoo's SMTP servers so unreliable these days?

New 'Hoo

FAILS 2018-02-14: smtp.mail.yahoo.com 587 SSL/TLS authentication **Username Protected**@domain.com ( password )

THIS fails to send emails today, Wednesday, February 14, 2018, using Mozila Thunderbird and Calibre-Ebook.com, both worked prior, nothing changed:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

• Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
  • Port - 465 or 587 ( either fails )
  • Requires SSL - Yes
  • Requires TLS - Yes (if available)
  • Requires authentication - Yes

Your login info

• Email address - Your full email address (**Username Protected**@domain.com.)
  • Password - Your account's password.
  • Requires authentication - Yes
Official 'Hoo Staff

Some older third-party email apps (that do not use our Yahoo branded sign in page) require you to enter a single password for login credentials. If you've activated two-step verification or Account Key for your Yahoo account, you'll need to generate and use an "app password" to access Yahoo Mail from these apps.

5. Click Done.
If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
ysb
'Hoo Recruit

In my case, I am unable to send email from Thunderbird since few hours ago. No setting has been changed. Yahoo, please fix this quickly, I'm a paying Yahoo customer.

New 'Hoo

I cannot send email either since about a week. From the answers on this thread, it seems I may have to do something with an app on a mobile phone to make it work again, but I do not have own a smart phone. Is this the problem and then what to do?

Official 'Hoo Staff

@ysb

Do you get an error when trying to send? Have you tried removing and re-adding the account to Tbird?

@larsT

Are you sending from the web or from an app? Do you get an error when you send email?

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
'Hoo Recruit

This seems to have resolved this issue. Will try for a few days.

Thank you

Established 'Hoo

@Jim_Jamwrote:

5. Click Done.

I am having this issue but on the account security page I do not see the Generate app password or Manage app passwords buttons.  Please advise.