cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Mail Client Failing to connect to Yahoo Using POP?

SOLVED
Official 'Hoo Staff

Mail Client Failing to connect to Yahoo Using POP?

POP clients (like Outlook and Apple Mail) need a lot of things to align perfectly in order for them to work with an email account. 

Most server errors or authentication errors with your mail client occur due to a recent password change or an update in security settings. If you've recently changed your password you'll need to update that on your mail client. Most mail clients will not retry that same password again without resetting the application first.

****Please try these steps before posting to this thread. This will allow us to rule out any settings related issues.****

Fix POP client sending and receiving issues

Mobile Mail Clients: 

Ways to securely access Yahoo Mail 

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pro 'Hoo

Re: Cannot access my Yahoo mail with Thunderbird

I was having this problem too -- after years of using Thunderbird and the same email addresses.  Two accounts.  Both of them started throwing password errors and keeping Thunderbird from receiving mails.

What worked for me:

1) I asked Thunderbird to set up a new account for me and used the same yahoo email address that was having trouble

2) Thunderbird set up the new account using its database

3) That new account was set up to use inbound.att.net for POP and outbound.att.net for SMTP.  Also, maybe my accounts were ancient, but the old email addies had % instead of @  ( i.e.  username%sbcglobal.net in my case instead of **Username Removed**@sbcglobal.net)  The new account used the plain old email address.

4) Everything works with these new specs.

5) I changed my old account settings to use the new ones (and deleted the test account to clean up)

253 REPLIES
Established 'Hoo

Outlook 2010 Fails to connect, NOT FIXED

The problem is not solved, I want a refund. 

Established 'Hoo

Re: Yahoo Mail Will Not Download to Desktop Email Client

I de-installed and re-installed AVAST and my problem seems to have gone away.

'Hoo Recruit

I'm not able to read from Yahoo from within Thunderbird. I can send to Yahoo and I can also send and receive from my gmail account. I have no problem receiving Yahoo at yahoo.com. The problem started Jan 20th. Is there any solution in the wind? I would like to be added to Yahoo's list for resolution. 

Established 'Hoo

What do u use for antivirus? If AVAST, you can turn scanning off for incoming mail and see if it fixes the problem. If it does, de-install and re-install AVAST.

Established 'Hoo

It seems to have somthing to do with the Certificate of Trust for Yahoo ... something has changed or gotten corrupted and a de-install/re-install seems the easiest way to fix it.

Confirm that it is antivirus by turning of inbound scanning and send yourself and e-mail, and see if u can get it.

Pro 'Hoo

This looks like the POP issue we encountered last week. There were several long threads on it.  It started on 1/17/17 for me. It was fixed a few days later ( I believe the date POP started working again for me was 1/20/17). However, the issue has resurfaced as of yesterday.

Pro 'Hoo

POP is STILL not working, cannot send or receive email

OK, so my POP stopped working today about 2 hrs. ago. It keeps asking me to enter my password for both pop and smtp settings, I reviewed all settings, they are as indicated by you in the POP settings. Yet when it comes to testing the connection I get:

Logon onto incoming mail server (POP3): Completed

Sent test email message: Failed

in list of errors the following message:

"Send test email message: The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or ISP".

Can you pls. correct what is needed and help to restore POP access.

Administratin' 'Hoo

Re: Outlook 2010 Fails to connect, NOT FIXED

Please note that POP mail is free.  POP clients (like Outlook and Apple Mail) need a lot things to align perfectly in order for them to work with an email account. Use these steps to identify and fix the source of the problem.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/SLN3792.html?impressions=true

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
New 'Hoo

Re: POP is STILL not working, cannot send or receive email

im having same issue, altjough i am able to receive email, i cannot send.