cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Delay in receiving emails

SOLVED
Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

Delay in receiving emails

I have a 12 hour delay in receiving emails sometimes. But only on one of my accounts, on my main account everything works fine. I even tried to send myself an email from myself and it doesn't show up. Any solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: Delay in receiving emails

@Mschefniki

I sent a test email to the account and it came through right away. Was there a specific sender you aren't getting emails from?

@widdlesticks

If you check the headers, can you see where the emails were delayed?

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
10 REPLIES
Official 'Hoo Staff

An email’s full headers include information about how it was routed and delivered as well as information about the true sender of the email. View the full headers to find out where an email was delayed or who really sent an email with a forged address.

View an email's full header

1. Open an email.
  2. Click More | select View Raw Message.
    - The full header is at the beginning of the raw message.

Use header info to investigate problems

Find the true address in a forged email

Are you getting emails from an email address you blocked? Not sure if an email is really from who it says it is? An email sender can forge false information to make it look like the email came from a different address than it really did, but you can find the true information in the full header.

1. View the full header as described above.
  2. Compare the bottom From: address to the address in either the Received or Mailfrom field.
    • The real sending email address is in the top-most Received or Mailfrom field.

Block or filter the true email address

Now that you have the true email address you can block or filter it.

See where an email was delayed

Delivery records in the full headers show when each computer received the message. The first delivery is at the bottom; the newest at the top. If you find a large time gap between delivery records, that shows which computer delayed before sending it to the next computer.

1. View the full header as described above.
  2. Find one or more lines that say "Received." These are delivery records.
  3. Review these records to identify any delays.

Example: "mta1682.yahoo.com" received the message from "mta2009.yahoo.com" with a delay of about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Find delays the easy way - Use this third-party tool to parse the header. It makes the information a lot easier to read. Note that this isn't a Yahoo tool and we don't offer support for it.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Pro 'Hoo

I have done that and there are no delays in the raw message data. Also when I send myself an email it doesn't have an option for viewing the raw message. I know there is something more going on because if I send myself a message the only reason it wouldn't go though immediately is if there was a problem with my account.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@widdlesticks,

Are you sending via yahoo.com or running your account through a third party application? 

If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Pro 'Hoo

I'm on yahoo and i've tried the yahoo app.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@widdlesticks,

Are you noticing this delay when sending/receiving from a specific email? 

Pro 'Hoo

It is all emails from multiple different addresses. It seems to get clogged usually around 10 am est  to 7 pm est, then I will get all my emails at once and the timestamps will say the time they were supposed to be delivered.

'Hoo Recruit

I’m having the same problem. It’s becoming a hassle and I can’t figure it out. No matter how I check my email app browser third party there’s a huge delay in my emails.
'Hoo Recruit

And for me it’s no specific email none of my emails are coming thru
Official 'Hoo Staff

@Mschefniki

I sent a test email to the account and it came through right away. Was there a specific sender you aren't getting emails from?

@widdlesticks

If you check the headers, can you see where the emails were delayed?

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare