cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Cannot use Outlook to retrieve my Yahoo mail after security enhancements were put into place

SOLVED
'Hoo Recruit

Cannot use Outlook to retrieve my Yahoo mail after security enhancements were put into place

Greetings! Since the enhanced security measures were put into place, I can no longer get my Yahoo account mail using Microsoft Outlook. I cannot figure out to set up my Yahoo account mail since the changes. Pleasse provide me with information on how to do that. I use Outlook to categorize and save important messages. I look forward to your response! Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: Cannot use Outlook to retrieve my Yahoo mail after security enhancements were put into place

We recommend removing and re-adding the account. This will re-establish sync. 

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
12 REPLIES
Pro 'Hoo

Re: Cannot use Outlook to retrieve my Yahoo mail after security enhancements were put into place

I am having the same problem and cannot find a chat feature or phone number to address this issue.  If this is not resolved quickly I may need to leave Yahoo for good. 

New 'Hoo

Same issue here.

My Outlook mail cannot retrieve emails from my yahoo IMAP and SMTP mail accounts used by my employer.

It doesnt recognize my password no matter if I change profiles and create new passwords or not in Outlook.

Pro 'Hoo

I have a work email through Yahoo also, and was able to call their cust serv number.  Try this:

In account settings:

Turn two step verification OFF

Turn "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" ON

Worked for me, but it's too bad they are not bothered to keep more secure the transmissions with Outlook.  Seems like negligently cutting corners to me...

New 'Hoo

I have set a new password and followed al the directions but cannot get to mail without the breach notice popping up. I get the Yahoo home page but can't access mail.

'Hoo Recruit

Having the same issues and yes, lopping off desktop email clients is not a fix.  It' a bug. 

'Hoo Recruit

Same problem here.  It appears that they have at least temporarily ditched support for desktop email clients.  Very disheartening.  It's bad enough that they have experienced probably the worst data breach in the history of computing, but to then provide no clearcut explanation and work-around for email clients, thus robbing the user of perhaps hours trying to find out what's wrong, it's just salt in the wound.  

New 'Hoo

I am having the same issue.  Reset password.  Reset the setting as mentioned.  Keeps asking me to add aphone number.  I already had one listed.  Seems odd!

Pro 'Hoo

See my post above.  Try this:

In account settings:

Turn two step verification OFF

Turn "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" ON

Best of luck...  I know I spend hours on this myself, trying to troubleshoot.  Ugh!! 

New 'Hoo

I've turned those things off, but I've completely messed up the account settings in Outlook and can't remember what they were.  Can someone suggest what my outlook settings should look like please?