cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Can't Send Email From any Device or Browser

SOLVED
Highlighted
New 'Hoo

Can't Send Email From any Device or Browser

Need some help.  I think my account was hacked and somebody used my account to send spam. I had a bunch of undeliverable notices to addresses I didn't recoognize.  That was Nov 20.  I've been trying to send message since Dec 1 and nothing will send. I get is this get this message "An error occured while sending the message" instead and a link back to my inbox.

I think my account is on hold following hack/spam event but its been this way for several days and nobody from Yahoo - robot or otherwise - has notified me about any hold or if/when that hold will be lifted.

Is there something needed from me to help clear this?

Is my account locked forever? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Can't Send Email From any Device or Browser

Greetings @6of5

Are you posting this question from the account having this issue?  Are you trying to send these from a laptop, desktop, phone, or tablet?  What browser or app are you using to do this?  What version of Yahoo mail are you using?  If you are trying to send them from a mobile device do you get the same results if you try to send them from a laptop or desktop?  When you send an email to this account from another account do you receive the email? 

If your account was deactivated or put on hold you would not be notified of this.

What makes you believe your account was compromised other than what you have listed here?  What account recovery options do you have listed on your account?  Do you notice a change in these options?   

Change your Yahoo password or reset a forgotten password - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN2035.html?impressions=true

Changing your password is only the first step in securing a compromised account.  The next articles show other things you can do.

Recognize and secure a hacked Yahoo Mail account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN3516.html?impressions=true

Be sure to remove any unknown devices or account that may have been connected to your account.  The next article can help with this process.

Find and remove unusual activity on your Yahoo account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/sln2073.html

Did you see any unusual activity such as logins or devices attached to your account that you don't recognize?  Did you find any emails in your Sent folder that you didn't send? 

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
6 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @6of5

Are you posting this question from the account having this issue?  Are you trying to send these from a laptop, desktop, phone, or tablet?  What browser or app are you using to do this?  What version of Yahoo mail are you using?  If you are trying to send them from a mobile device do you get the same results if you try to send them from a laptop or desktop?  When you send an email to this account from another account do you receive the email? 

If your account was deactivated or put on hold you would not be notified of this.

What makes you believe your account was compromised other than what you have listed here?  What account recovery options do you have listed on your account?  Do you notice a change in these options?   

Change your Yahoo password or reset a forgotten password - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN2035.html?impressions=true

Changing your password is only the first step in securing a compromised account.  The next articles show other things you can do.

Recognize and secure a hacked Yahoo Mail account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN3516.html?impressions=true

Be sure to remove any unknown devices or account that may have been connected to your account.  The next article can help with this process.

Find and remove unusual activity on your Yahoo account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/sln2073.html

Did you see any unusual activity such as logins or devices attached to your account that you don't recognize?  Did you find any emails in your Sent folder that you didn't send? 

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
New 'Hoo

Ok, lots of questions. Here are some answers.

-Yes, this is from the account in question.

-I tried sending from both a desktop and mobile device. Tried chrome and edge on the desktop and the Yahoo mail app on an android phone.

-I am using the current version (not the classic)

-As above, same error message sending from desktop and mobile devices.

-My account receives email fine, but errors any send attempt (new mail, reply, forward, etc.) on any device

-The failure to send notices, from my account, that I didn;t send (and nobody else has access to my deviced) seems like a decent clue that somebody other than me used my account.

- I don't see any unusual account activity but the sending errors started shortly after those failure to send notices. 

Official 'Hoo Staff

@6of5

What I would do is reset your password, secure the account, wait a few hours, and then try to send an email again to see if it works.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
New 'Hoo

I have this same issue, cannot send emails from my ameritech.net account on Outlook 2016, on Yahoo.com, and my phone using Outlook app.  I get the error message: "An error occured while sending the message."  I have tried using Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.  Cleared caches, cookies, etc for all browsers.  

New 'Hoo

hi
i can't send any email to any address with any browsers (chrome,firefox,IE)

my email : **Username Protected**@yahoo.com
after send email give error >>  an error occurred while sending the message

i can receive email & inbox is ok but i can't send

i reset my password & use two step verification , but again sending mail not work

please help me

Official 'Hoo Staff

@appleleg

Try resetting your password, waiting a few hours, and then sending a test email from the account to itself.

@amirsh1352

It looks like you've been able to send several emails from the account today. Are you still having trouble?

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare