cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

ATT.NET Mail Account transfer to NEW YAHOO Account cannot sync to iPhone via IMAP or POP

SOLVED
'Hoo Recruit

ATT.NET Mail Account transfer to NEW YAHOO Account cannot sync to iPhone via IMAP or POP

10/11/2016 Locked out of 17-year att.net business account due to 2014 YAHOO! hack. Followed new YAHOO Account set-up, security questions, and back-up scrupulously. Everything works from Laptop and YAHOO Mail for iPhone.

CANNOT sync to iPhone mail via IMAP or POP protocols suggested on YAHOO!'s Help Central page. When I Add Account on the iPhone and plug the required data and it runs the Verify routine I get variety of error codes indicating incorrect user ID or password OR stating that login attempt was blocked because it did not meet YAHOO!'s security protocols.

Spent an hour at an Apple Store Genius Bar verifying that problem was not repeat NOT on Apple's side. I'm running IOS 10.0.2 on iPhone 6S

Any YAHOO! Geniuses in Customer Service willing to troubleshoot? It ain't supposed to be this hard in 2016!

Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: ATT.NET Mail Account transfer to NEW YAHOO Account cannot sync to iPhone via IMAP or POP

In order to use a third party email client you would need to allow app access. 

App access and security

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
5 REPLIES
Administratin' 'Hoo

Re: ATT.NET Mail Account transfer to NEW YAHOO Account cannot sync to iPhone via IMAP or POP

This is likely an app access issue. Please review this thread about the same thing.

Use the 'accepted solution' button to let everyone know your issue was resolved. Give 'kudos' if you agree with someone's post or appreciate their input. Points are awarded for these actions. Contest are held regularly too! Check out the Announcements board for the latest details.
'Hoo Recruit

Ahoy, EchoSanders, the friendly Administratin' Hoo! Any relation to Cindy Lou Hoo from the Grinch Stole Christmas?

No kudos for Yahoo, yet. Nothing works. None of the recommended App Access Workarounds have solved the problem. I have gone through everything recommended by Yahoo multiple times over the past week, but remain without email functionality.

FACTS:
1. I am running iOS 10.0.2 on an iPhone 6S and appear to be in compliance with all security protocols recommended by Yahoo. I do not wish to sacrifice security, so I have NOT invoked the "Allow Apps That Use Less Secure Sign-in" feature. I have configured the iPhone Email Account for Yahoo's IMAP Incoming and Outgoing Mail hosts / servers as instructed by Yahoo. I have set the Advanced Incoming Settings to use SSL and Password Authentication.

2. I have configured the iPhone email settings to "fetch" emails for all of my email accounts at 30 minute intervals. The old att.net domain emails worked fine for 3 years until YAHOO disabled and locked them. Gmail send/receive works fine via iPhone mail. Yahoo email does not work at all via iPhone mail. The Yahoo Mail for iPhone app downloaded from the App Store works only when it wants to. See Fact 5 below. The requirement is for Yahoo mail functionality within iPhone mail, without having to invoke your proprietary app. This is a basic functionality of the mobile platform.

3. Upon executing the "fetch" via iPhone Mail, YAHOO! consistently throws the error message "Cannot Get mail. The user name or password for **Username Removed**@yahoo.com" is incorrect". This is illogical and NOT caused by user error because I have copied and pasted these mail settings fields from a password manager.

4. Even though the "fetch" fails every 30 minutes, YAHOO! sends me an email  every night at 8:57 or 8:58PM telling me that: "Sign in attempt prevented" Someone attempted to sign in to your Yahoo account (dflm_cpa) from an app that doesn't meet Yahoo's security standards. We blocked this sign in attempt, which was made on: Wed, Oct 19, 2016 8:58 PM EDT from United States. Nonsense, my iPhone 6S running iOS 10.0.2 does meet YAHOO's security standards. I now have a collection of 7 of these silly things.

5. It's getting worse. Even though my original problem was with accessing Yahoo Mail via iPhone Mail, the Yahoo Mail for iPhone app itself randomly fails to SEND emails created from within the app, throwing the error code:
Oct 19 at 9:28 PM
Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.
internal error: Server Error

ACTION REQUIRED:
Please open a Service Ticket, research, and resolve soonest. I am rapidly losing respect for Yahoo and its considerable resources and technological skills. If mail won't work, why would I bother surfing to Yahoo's website or community? I've been following the Wall Street Journal's coverage of your 2014 hack that caused all this, as well as Yahoo's efforts to make nice in order to preserve the economic benefits of its pending purchase offer from Verizon. Yahoo's latest quarterly financial reports cheerily assert that email usage and site visits are up over the last 3 months. Not for me they're not.

Again, this ain't 's'posed to be so hard in 2016!

Cheers, Ciao 4 Niao, and Happy Trails.  .  .
dflm
Official 'Hoo Staff

In order to use a third party email client you would need to allow app access. 

App access and security

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
'Hoo Recruit

Hey Jim_Jam!

Advice NOT HELPFUL. Been there. Done that. Seven days ago.

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD IN FULL. It will explain the fact set and demonstrate to you the MISMATCH between your superficial understanding of my problem and the cross-references your provide. This is abysmally poor Customer Service.

10/21/2016 More FACTS:

TWICE now in the past day I have gone through still ANOTHER set of YAHOO instructions advising me to GENERATE AN APP Password for my iPhone Mail beause I have turned on two stage authentication (at YAHOO's urging). But when I try to paste the App Password into the password field in iPhone settings and it tries to validate, Yahoo's servers throw the error:

CANNOT CONNECT USING SSL

Again, please Read Entire thread, put on your best Thinking Cap, analyze the problem based on a deep understanding of the facts provided and contact me with a real solution rather than endless links to useless advice.

YAHOO caused all this, not me. You have my cell phone.

dflm_cpa

New 'Hoo

Thank you for your persistence here! I'm a 10 year happy att.net customer using iphone. Have the same problem.