cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel
Announcements
Some draft emails are missing from the Drafts folder. We're working to fix this as soon as possible. Learn more

Attachment is showing it has a virus

SOLVED
Highlighted
'Hoo Recruit

Attachment is showing it has a virus

Good day. I am sending a quote from an auto insurance rater & it is showing that it has a virus & will not open. I sent to my wife & got the same issue. When we forwarded it to her gmail account the file open without an issue. How can I get it to open in a Yahoo account. Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, 

The message when we tried to open the file was: 

{"error":{"code":"EC-4001","validationErrors":["virus"],"requestId":"dd***Phone Number Removed***ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjJ-BfpWil5I1Mr2kMdglrisNZmk07xq0TRRJ8_Zzu6hXibXOllF1DUpuB80q6LHJtNxGH4nkLovJSeSm65J69qU1w/messages/@.id==AEpUimIADScbWIZ0eAdW6MGA59I/content/parts/@.id==2/raw"}}

• Desktop Web Mail
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established 'Hoo

Re: Attachment is showing it has a virus

PDF files are being flagged as containing a virus when sent to a Yahoo email address. 

• These PDF files test virus free when we test with antivirus software. 
  • There are no issues when sending these attachments to a different email provider.
  • Attachments/emails that were sent a long time ago and which tested virus free at the time, are now being flagged as containing a virus. 

Here are two other threads on the same issue.

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Errors/PDF-attachments-sent-to-yahoo-accounts-from-my-LAN-being/td-p/180...

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Sending-and-receiving/PDF-Attachment-Virus-False-Positive/td-p/183165

It's really easy to reproduce. Simply send an email with a PDF file attached to your yahoo mail account and try to download the file.

16 REPLIES
Mail All-star

Some things are not clear. Who is sending this email? Are you trying to send it to yourself? What is the file type?

If you are sending the file try right clicking it and send to compressed file. Try attaching that and send it.

Virus scanners are funny. They look for certain strings that may exist in the file. There is actually a test string that you can put into a text file and as soon as you save it you get a notice from virus programs.

If you like an answer then click Kudos.
If a post answers your question then click Accept as Solution and give Kudos .
Feel free to Reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my replies are just my opinion based on experience.
'Hoo Recruit

@Barkley_Hound

{"error":{"code":"EC-4001","validationErrors":["virus"],"requestId":"***Phone Number Removed***ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjJ-xc8OlaX5uicV1oPz2kb0iyJ7ZdyOk962Q01Um49B07U3rJUeD6JScSa4l1VnHGKgyqtsdt-jko-uK0ko8KHOrw/messages/@.id==AKl2imIABFtpWFG4PAwlYN2l4TA/content/parts/@.id==2/raw"}}

I am having a similar issue. I get the above error.  It happens when some people send me pdf files. If I forward the message to someone else, they can generally open the pdf with no issues. If the person I send it to sends it back to me I still can not open the pdf. This just started happening this month, so I am not sure if there was an update or something that caused this because last month I could open pdf files from the person sending me the pdf files.

Official 'Hoo Staff

For both of these accounts are you accessing mail via yahoo.com or a third party client such as Outlook? 

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo!
If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
'Hoo Recruit

Via yahoo.com

Official 'Hoo Staff

@j_g2000,

I have performed a bit of maintenance on the account and testing it appears that pdf's are now downloading properly. Please test the account once more. 

If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
'Hoo Recruit

Both went to Yahoo. It was system generate file from Safeco. Gmail didn't have any issue. Thaks, 

'Hoo Recruit

No, still get the error.

{"error":{"code":"EC-4001","validationErrors":["virus"],"requestId":"***Phone Number Removed***ws/download/mailboxes/@.id==VjJ-xc8OlaX5uicV1oPz2kb0iyJ7ZdyOk962Q01Um49B07U3rJUeD6JScSa4l1VnHGKgyqtsdt-jko-uK0ko8KHOrw/messages/@.id==AKl2imIAAs4YWHkdngxEoB-WXog/content/parts/@.id==2/raw"}}
Tags (1)
  • Tags:
Official 'Hoo Staff

@j_g2000,

Unfortunately I'm unable to replicate this. The operating system and web browsers that your using are all up to date correct. 

'Hoo Recruit

Yes, Windows 10 and Chrome are up to date