cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

My alias was incorrectly assigned to be my Primary address

SOLVED
Established 'Hoo

Re: My alias was incorrectly assigned to be my Primary address

Hello @Barkley_Hound & @ArthurDent

I am going to try to explain again with fake account names so it can be better understood, hopefully.

When I create this account years ago, it was created as follows:

• Account name: ABC
  • Alias name: XYZ

This worked for years.

Now, it has been a while since I have logged in and I need to use it again.

But what I see now in the setup is as follows:

• Account name: ABC
  • Primary email: XYZ
  • Secondary email: ABC
  • Default email: XYZ
  • Email sent from: ABC

Emails sent FROM this account are not delivered.
    When I send emails, I do not have a choice to switch account.
Emails sent TO ABC are bounced back.
Emails sent TO XYZ go through.
The default is XYZ and I cannot change.

I cannot delete or change XYZ because it is now the primary.
I can only delete ABC, but I don't want to do this because this is my main account.

I feel that the account was some how corrupted when changes were made some time back, possibly when the aliases were removed as an option.

Thanks,

Frank

Mail Pro All-star

@Frank00

Did you try my recommendation to see if the default can be changed? You do seem to have a unique problem and maybe someone on the staff can solve it.

Feel free to reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my postings are just my opinion based on experience.
Established 'Hoo

@Barkley_Hound

Yes, as mentioned above the default email address cannot be changed from the XYZ account.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @Frank00

You mentioned it's been a while since you used this account.  Can you define what that is:  would it be 3, 6, 9, 12 months, or woulld it be better to state how many years it's been since you last signed into this account?

Have you checked what email addresses are associated with this account?  Here's how to do that.

If you are using the New Mail:

Click on "Settings"
    Click on "More Settings"
    Click on "Mailboxes"
    To the right you will see "Mailbox List"
    The first email address listed is your primary email address.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Established 'Hoo

Hi @ArthurDent

I would guess my last login was somewhere in the area of Mar 2017 +/- a couple of months.

As per my previous reply, I can see the emails that I have, but they are wrong as per my original account setup.

Thanks,

Frank

Official 'Hoo Staff

@Frank00

Can you provide the subject/date of an email in your mailbox that was delivered to the old address?

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
Established 'Hoo

Hi @Scootermobile

I cleaned up my mailbox recently, but I may have emails from a couple of years ago that were sent to my previous email (my previous main email address).  These would have been downloaded onto my Outlook at home, so I will need to wait until I take a look there.

I am getting SPAM type emails to the previous alias email, which now my primary address.  Not sure that helps at all.

Thanks,

Frank

Official 'Hoo Staff

@Tsu451

Yeah, anything that shows it as being received to the old/original address will work. Just provide a subject/date when you can, and we'll take a look.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
Established 'Hoo

Hi @Scootermobile

Does this help at all.  I sent an email a few minutes ago from my Yahoo email account to my XYZ (my previous alias account) email address.  The compose shows that the XYZ account is where it is being sent from (because this is my primary email address and the default address).  But this email is never delivered, although when I look at the email in my sent folder (which I have now as a Starred email because it moved out of my sent folder), it shows that it was sent to the XYZ but that it was sent from my previous main account ABC.  I think this shows the bug that we have.  Because at this point I cannot send ANY emails from this account.  I cannot change the default address either.  What I think this shows is that the email system is sending from the primary account login but is confused because the primary email address is incorrect and set t the previous alias address.

Thanks,

Frank

Established 'Hoo

Hi @Scootermobile

For got to mention that the subject was:

testtesttest

Thanks,

Frank