cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

LEGITIMATE EMAIL FREQUENTLY GOING TO SPAM FOLDER

SOLVED
Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

LEGITIMATE EMAIL FREQUENTLY GOING TO SPAM FOLDER

For well over a year I have frequently been receiving legitimate (sometimes IMPORTANT) email addressed to my Yahoo addresses, FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT SENDERS, in my Spam Folder.

I should also point out that I only regularly use Mac Mail for all my accounts—1 GMail, 2 Yahoo Accounts and 1 Rogers ISP account (also administered by Yahoo). All are IMAP. This issue does NOT exist with my GMail account!

I have always marked these emails as "NOT JUNK" and they then go to the corresponding Inbox. But these senders' subsequent emails keep appearing in the Junk folder.

Recently, with the help of APPLE tech support, I went to my Yahoo account's SPAM FOLDER on the web and marked the latest batch of legitimate email as "NOT SPAM". I would then see them moved back to the Inbox online and in Mac Mail. I PERFORMED THIS TASK ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS, BUT IT KEEPS HAPPENING. THE SAME LEGITIMATE SENDERS' MAIL IS GOING TO THE SPAM FOLDER (AND IS SEEN IN MAC MAIL'S JUNK FOLDER ALSO).

Foolowing a recent "Deleted mail failing to delete" issue between Yahoo and Apple (that Apple issued a supplemental OS update to finally resolve), I sent further diagnostic data on this Spam/Junk issue to Apple. The Apple Senior Support Tech sent me an email finally saying Apple's engineering department confirms this is "A SERVER SIDE ISSUE WITH YAHOO...". 

I am pasting the content of that email here.

Hi Jeffrey,

I heard back on your case regarding the junk mail. After looking at the data you provided, they found the issue. The issue is a server side issue with Yahoo. The mail data shows that Yahoo has labeled the IP address of the originator of those email as a bulk (spam) mail account. When this happens on the server side it causes messages to automatically go into the junk or spam folder. They said they recommend you discuss this issue further with Yahoo mail support so they can investigate the IP address issue since it is intermittent but happening frequent enough to be an issue. Apple Engineering indicated that there is no further troubleshooting they recommend but they want you to contact Yahoo.

This is the IP source address that comes up for the 2 messages you sent the Engineers: 
X-YahooFilteredBulk: 66.220.155.144
X-YahooFilteredBulk: 208.84.41.74

You can view this information as well by selecting the junk mail message and from your Mail menu bar selecting View, then clicking Message and then selecting All Headers.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxx, AppleCare Senior Advisor

I hope YAHOO will finally take ownership of this issue and resolve it once and for all. And furthermore, I am calling on Yahoo to formally advise Yahoo account holders by email when this issue is resolved, as this forum environment is terrible!. It took me over 45 minutes just to find a link where I could post this message! And I still don't know if it will be seen by the appropriate people!

Thank you.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Official 'Hoo Staff

Re: LEGITIMATE EMAIL FREQUENTLY GOING TO SPAM FOLDER

@MacVegan

Most likely those IPs are being filtered to Spam because they have a history of doing so. Both IP addresses (66.220.155.144 and 208.84.41.74) are blacklisted elsewhere, meaning that they have sent Spam in the past. There are you few things you can do to remedy this:

1. Keep marking them as Not Spam from the Yahoo web Mail interface.
  2. Add the sender's address as a contact in your Address Book
  3. Contact the sender and ask them to get their IP address(es) delisted from any blacklists, they may also want to reach out to our Postmaster department to resolve any other delivery issues.
Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
11 REPLIES
Official 'Hoo Staff

@MacVegan

Most likely those IPs are being filtered to Spam because they have a history of doing so. Both IP addresses (66.220.155.144 and 208.84.41.74) are blacklisted elsewhere, meaning that they have sent Spam in the past. There are you few things you can do to remedy this:

1. Keep marking them as Not Spam from the Yahoo web Mail interface.
  2. Add the sender's address as a contact in your Address Book
  3. Contact the sender and ask them to get their IP address(es) delisted from any blacklists, they may also want to reach out to our Postmaster department to resolve any other delivery issues.
Established 'Hoo

Thank you for your advice, Scootermobile.

I understand what you are saying but I find it hard to imagine that major senders like Facebook and Classmates (2 of the senders that intermittently but frequently end up in my Spam) have not already taken steps to prevent their blacklisting.

As I've said previously, my GMail account NEVER has this problem. All 3 of my Yahoo accounts are having this problem. As Apple engineers have already determined, Yahoo servers appear to be the weak link in this problem. I feel if there is any contact to be made, it should be YAHOO that should be working with senders to resolve this long-standing issue or else fixing the problem at their own end. I have done NOTHING to deserve this burden.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@MacVegan

They will need to contact our Postmaster department if they're noticing their emails are being deferred or bulked when going to our servers. They'll need their server and technical information in order to sort this issue out.

Established 'Hoo

But it is YAHOO who should be reaching out to (working with) the senders for whatever required information they need because it is YAHOO's users who are being inconvenienced. May I point out, the senders, so far as I can tell, have not done anything wrong either!

'Hoo Recruit

I am also having the same issue. I have tried everything I can possibly do. Some emails from the sender go to spam, others go to in box. TED Talks, Pure Wow are two examples. Help!!!

Established 'Hoo

I sympathize with you, MRC1.

IMHO this entire forum process is an outrageously convoluted sham (reminds me of a high schooler's chat room) that allows YAHOO to sherk its responsibility.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@MacVegan

I know it seems frustrating, but per our Postmaster's policy, we will need the sender experiencing the issue to reach out to us through our bulk sender application with their sending information so we can resolve any issues their users may be having.

@MRC1

Are you marking the emails as "Not Spam" in your mailbox (as opposed to just moving them out of the Spam folder)? Have you added the contacts to your address book?

'Hoo Recruit

Yes to both questions. I don't understand why some TED Talks go to spam and others dont. Happens also with other senders.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@MRC1

Most likely, it's due to the IPs they're sending from. The best thing to do is  to have them contact our postmaster department so we can help sort out any issues they're having.