cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Can't leave a copy on the server?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

Can't leave a copy on the server?

I just started receiving this error: "Your e-mail server does not have the features required to leave messages on the server." This reflects a change from your long-standing practices. Is this real, or a screw-up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pro 'Hoo

Re: Can't leave a copy on the server?

Yes, I did. The first time that I clicked on send/receive, it failed, but it has worked every time since then. I was surprised to see these old messages. they were still on the server. When I changed the Outlook settings to stop the error, they were downloaded and deleted from the server.

As I was writing this, I closed Outlook, restarted it, reset the Yahoo details to leave a copy, closed Outlook, restarted it, and clicked on send/receive. It worked. I think I'll just wait for the next surprise.

4 REPLIES
Pro 'Hoo

Additional info: Last night I got several old messages that I had previously seen from my Yahoo account. These were apparently downloaded again as a result of this change. I'm using Outlook, and have more than one e-mail account on different servers.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@Lyle43

Seems odd, as the settings to leave a message on the server are determined by the POP mail client. Sounds like you might be having some syncing issues between Outlook and your Yahoo account. Have you tried removing/re-adding the account yet? Using IMAP might be a better choice as well.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Need help on Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
Mail Pro All-Star

@Lyle43and @Scootermobile

Also note that Outlook is not a Yahoo product, and as such you may need to contact Outlook help to resove these problems.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
Pro 'Hoo

Yes, I did. The first time that I clicked on send/receive, it failed, but it has worked every time since then. I was surprised to see these old messages. they were still on the server. When I changed the Outlook settings to stop the error, they were downloaded and deleted from the server.

As I was writing this, I closed Outlook, restarted it, reset the Yahoo details to leave a copy, closed Outlook, restarted it, and clicked on send/receive. It worked. I think I'll just wait for the next surprise.