cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

What is your experience with Yahoo Finance?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Established 'Hoo

What is your experience with Yahoo Finance?

I am looking for an above intermediate level investor who has good experience with investing sites like Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, MarketWatch, etc. for suggestions on what platform to use.

I recently saved up some spare money and wanted to invest in something (stocks, mutual funds, ETF's). 

I have been investing in the stock market for about a year only relying on my brokerage platform, and recently came across Yahoo Finance, which has a portfolio. 

I am looking for someone more expert than me as I would like to know what are some of the pros and cons of Yahoo Finance Portfolio. And/or if there is any other platform that gives similar services for someone at my level. 

Would love to hear your experience with these services!

Thank you so much!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Established 'Hoo

Re: What is your experience with Yahoo Finance?

Yahoo Finance is great for watching news about your portfolio. Especially the mobile app! Some of the best the platform has to offer:

* Realtime quotes.

* Stock notifcations

* Syncs across devices

* Ability to have multiple lists in your portfolio. ( I break my lists up by industry, + have one for stocks I own)

* Stock screeners!

* Custom views. Once you set them up they're great for seeing the data you're interested in.

Things that could be better (web version):

* Adding and managing holdings. There's no simple way to monitor your portfolio growth when you buy and sell a stock. You only see how much you've gained or lost over time until you sell the stock/remove it from your portfolio. You can use the custom holdings feature $$CASH to monitor cash, but it doesn't provide you with any historical info like when you bought and sold a certain stock, or how much you've gained over a certain period from stocks you no longer hold in your list.

* Notes are only available on the holdings page.

* Sorting the different portfolio views. If you create custom views, it would be nice to make them default.

* Conversations by users on individual stocks don't tend to add value.

* too many ads. Especially in the newsfeed. They're easy to spot because they say "Sponsored," but they tend to clutter the overall experience.

Things that could be better on mobile:

* condensed portfolio view. The company name and white space uses too much of the screen. if they moved the company name up next to the Ticker, they could fit 2x as many stocks on the screen.

* Putting the portfolio details (total value, days gain, total gain) at the top of the basic view would be awesome.

* It would also be nice to be able to choose between %change and $change on the basic view.

13 REPLIES
Established 'Hoo

Yahoo Finance is great for watching news about your portfolio. Especially the mobile app! Some of the best the platform has to offer:

* Realtime quotes.

* Stock notifcations

* Syncs across devices

* Ability to have multiple lists in your portfolio. ( I break my lists up by industry, + have one for stocks I own)

* Stock screeners!

* Custom views. Once you set them up they're great for seeing the data you're interested in.

* Adding and managing holdings. There's no simple way to monitor your portfolio growth when you buy and sell a stock. You only see how much you've gained or lost over time until you sell the stock/remove it from your portfolio. You can use the custom holdings feature $$CASH to monitor cash, but it doesn't provide you with any historical info like when you bought and sold a certain stock, or how much you've gained over a certain period from stocks you no longer hold in your list.

* Sorting the different portfolio views. If you create custom views, it would be nice to make them default.

* too many ads. Especially in the newsfeed. They're easy to spot because they say "Sponsored," but they tend to clutter the overall experience.

* condensed portfolio view. The company name and white space uses too much of the screen. if they moved the company name up next to the Ticker, they could fit 2x as many stocks on the screen.

* Putting the portfolio details (total value, days gain, total gain) at the top of the basic view would be awesome.

* It would also be nice to be able to choose between %change and $change on the basic view.

New 'Hoo

Horrible...... do NOT USE YAHOO FINANCE.....

All my portfolios disappeared in their last "upgrade" last week !

What a bunch of incompitant BOZO's.......... try Google finance... that were I am going !!

Administratin' 'Hoo

@hayooISBAD - did you see the following post in the Known Issues section:  https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Known-issues-and-updates/Known-Issue-Missing-Portfolios/m-p/277738#M6

Try singing out and back in which may restore the portfolios, if that doesn't work they will be restored back shortly.  The data is not lost.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Established 'Hoo

I asked a few people about this, and so far your response is the most articulated and meaningful. 

How long have you been using Yahoo Finance? 

You definitely have a few good points in your response, by looking at your response I can tell that you probably use Yahoo Finance a lot. However, I am of the idea that YF is on a decline. I would even say that the whole Yahoo Brand is on a decline.

Starting from a decade ago when they were late to adapt to the market trend of going mobile, losing to the simplicity of Google, too many failed project, and the recent Verizon acquisition that led to tons of changes that outraged the online community. 

On top of that, for Yahoo Finance in specific, now there are just way too many choices of Investment platform out there. Look at how Google Finance, MarketWatch, Bloomberg, Investing.com, Seeking Alpha, (just to name a few) are competing. Argubly each one has its own different thing. Even some of the less known ones, like Wikinvest (their competitive advantage over portfolio management is just another level). 

I think it is just a matter of tiem before Yahoo geos out of business. 

What do you think? 

Established 'Hoo

P.s. I hope that the moderators don't remove my post just because I gave my opinion on Yahoo Finance hahah

Established 'Hoo

I asked a few people about this, and so far your response is the most articulated and meaningful. 

How long have you been using Yahoo Finance? 

You definitely have a few good points in your response, by looking at your response I can tell that you probably use Yahoo Finance a lot. However, I am of the idea that YF is on a decline. I would even say that the whole Yahoo Brand is on a decline.

Starting from a decade ago when they were late to adapt to the market trend of going mobile, losing to the simplicity of Google, too many failed project, and the recent Verizon acquisition that led to tons of changes that outraged the online community. 

On top of that, for Yahoo Finance in specific, now there are just way too many choices of Investment platform out there. Look at how Google Finance, MarketWatch, Bloomberg, Investing.com, Seeking Alpha, (just to name a few) are competing. Argubly each one has its own different thing. Even some of the less known ones, like Wikinvest (their competitive advantage over portfolio management is just another level). 

I think it is just a matter of tiem before Yahoo geos out of business. 

What do you think? 

Hoping that the moderator doesn't delete my post haha

angellism wrote:

* Realtime quotes.

* Stock notifcations

* Syncs across devices

* Stock screeners!

Established 'Hoo

@zackmysfit, I've been using Yahoo Finance for about 2 years, mostly on mobile. I don't have much experience with the "Old Finance" site since I managed my portfolio directly though my brokerage account until recently.

Maybe I just don't miss what I never had Smiley Happy

I think Yahoo Finance is improving. I can use it across multiple devices and it syncs quickly so I can go from my desktop browser to my mobile device seamlessly. Seeking Alpha has a decent app, but it's not as intuitive to use and can feel a bit cluttered imo. I haven't used the others, but I'm going to go check out wikinvest.

I don't think Yahoo is in decline. It was. I think it's done a good job, if slowly, of moving to the mobile era. You and I wouldn't be talking about it if we didn't think it had value. There's people who prefer google, Aol, msn, and even using their internet company "web portal" like xfinity.com. Google is better at providing you content if you know what you're looking for, but Yahoo excels at providing you content you didn't know you were interested in.

Yahoo, like all of the other major web curation sites, has positives and negatives. I don't use a lot of other Yahoo services besides Finance. I love the Video guide app, Flickr, and miss the news digest app (failed project). I spend 1/2 the time I used to picking something to watch on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. I miss news digest, it was great. It curated 8 or so stories twice a day and summarized them and provided source links at the bottom if you wanted to dive deeper. I'd love to see them do something similar with the Finance Newsfeed. Flickr used to be my go to for sharing photos, but most of the people I engage with moved to instagram so I mostly use it for storage and inspiration. Its image search is awesome!

New 'Hoo

It appears that Yahoo is taking absolutely no responsibility for what appears under "Yahoo.com". Take this ad, for isntance, that I want to tell Yahoo about. It's impossible to let them know for there is no real "contact" address.

This particular complaint is about that article/ad that has appeared for months, day in day out, eentilled "Billionaire teaching Swiss how to build wealth fast". It's an absolute rip off. I live in that country at the moment and when I contacted them, they were very reluctant to provide serious info about how, why, what, where, who, etc, that a responsible individual should ask. They answered some questions, but not others, and at the end of the conversation, they told me they would let me know. They never did, and when I did call again myself, they gave me a mickey mouth answer to the effect that my credit card was issued in the US and not in Switzerland. 

I then went to the NET to learn more about what people thought of that Co. and the comments were practically unanimous: it's a rip off. 

My question is: How can Yahoo, continue to provide the perfect sucker game such an audience? I suspect Yahoo is in on this scam but how to prove it or even ask Yahoo? There is no address to which to write to express those concerns. Shame on Yahoo. 

'Hoo Recruit

I use your iPhone Stock app (I assume it is your app as it says Yahoo! at the bottom)which allows me to see an interactive graph of the securities, mutual funds, ETFs and ETNs I follow.  It came with the phone and is very useful!

However, it would be much more helpful if it showed total return (share price + dividend) and if it handled year end distributions accurately.

For example, on this app, there are hugh drawdowns at each year end which I assume are the result of cap gains distributions.

In addition, for YAFFX as an example, the performance on the phone app from 6/30/16 - 6/30/17 shows about 4% while it shows about 14% on your web site???

I would really like to believe I can trust the phone app but my confidence is wanning!

Thanks