cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Unable to sign in (password known)

SOLVED
Highlighted
New 'Hoo

Unable to sign in (password known)

Hi there,

Im having issues signing into my yahoo account. I know my username/email, and I also know my password. However when I enter them I get the following (cant seem to post pictures so a text copy is below):

Help us keep your account safe.

We want to make sure that it's really you using this account. Choose a method below to verify that this is your account.
Answer the security question

Cancel

However I purposely didn't set up a security question when I made my account, so I get presented with the following screen:

Security question no.1:

<< my empty security question here >>
Answer
Verify
I can't answer this question

I have no idea what answer I set to my question so I click "I can't answer this question" which then brings up the follow:

Uh-oh...

It looks as though we can't get you into your account on this device. Please try signing in from the device that you use most often.

Start again 
Visit our Help site

Well this IS the only device I use to sign in so thats not going to help. And non of the help site articles seem useful. So I just get stuck in this loop, even though I KNOW my username and password. As a web developer, this whole scenario/state seems strange.

Thanks for any help,

S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-Star

Re: Unable to sign in (password known)

Greetings simonjlevy

It's been two years since you could create a new account with secret questions and answers or edit existing secret questions and answers.  Yahoo no longer uses secret question and answers as the primary means to recover your account.  By the end of the year (2017) this option will be removed entirely.  The automated account recovery system chooses the best recovery method available for your account.  If you are given the option to answer them that would mean the system found no other account recovery options registered for this account.  The answers you enter must match EXACTLY to what is registered to this account.  You will know the answer is correct when you see the word "Correct" in green at the end of your question.  

Yahoo moved to using the email address and phone number entered into the Account Security page as the primary means to verify you are the rightful owner of this account.  Yahoo sent an email to all account holders a year ago  informing them of this change and included instructions on how to check if you still had secret questions attached to your account and how to delete those questions.  They also ask that you add a recovery phone number and recovery email address to the Account Security page, if you had not already done this, and to go through the verification process to make sure you could receive the account key code messages.

The account recovery process is completely automated.  Yahoo determines you are the rightful owner of the account by sending the account key code message to the verified phone number or email address entered on the Account Security page for this account.  If this information is outdated, was entered incorrectly, or was never set up then it's unlikely you will be able to recover this account.

Start by going through the Sign-in helper mentioned in the following article from a laptop or a desktop.   

Problems signing in to your Yahoo account -
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/learn-fix-problems-password-yahoo-sln2051.html

When you go through the account recovery process and you see account recovery options that are no longer available you need to choose "I don't have access to this phone" or "I don't have access to this email" to see what see what other account recovery options are available.  If you get the "Uh oh" message saying the account can't be recovered online you can try the following but it's unlikely you will be able to recover this account.

Start here at Help for Yahoo Account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account
    Scroll down the page until you see a "Contact Us" button.
    Click on this to open a page that says "Need assistance with a Yahoo product? Let's see how we can help.".
    Under "Tell us your Yahoo email address and product." you select the product you want help with.  In this case it would be "Account".
    Enter your email address and check "I'm not a robot".  You may be sent to another CAPTCHA page for additional proof.
    Click the "Get started" button
    This opens the "CHOOSE SUPPORT OPTION" page.
    Under "Select from these options" you will find all the support options available to address this issue.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue
4 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-Star

Greetings simonjlevy

It's been two years since you could create a new account with secret questions and answers or edit existing secret questions and answers.  Yahoo no longer uses secret question and answers as the primary means to recover your account.  By the end of the year (2017) this option will be removed entirely.  The automated account recovery system chooses the best recovery method available for your account.  If you are given the option to answer them that would mean the system found no other account recovery options registered for this account.  The answers you enter must match EXACTLY to what is registered to this account.  You will know the answer is correct when you see the word "Correct" in green at the end of your question.  

Yahoo moved to using the email address and phone number entered into the Account Security page as the primary means to verify you are the rightful owner of this account.  Yahoo sent an email to all account holders a year ago  informing them of this change and included instructions on how to check if you still had secret questions attached to your account and how to delete those questions.  They also ask that you add a recovery phone number and recovery email address to the Account Security page, if you had not already done this, and to go through the verification process to make sure you could receive the account key code messages.

The account recovery process is completely automated.  Yahoo determines you are the rightful owner of the account by sending the account key code message to the verified phone number or email address entered on the Account Security page for this account.  If this information is outdated, was entered incorrectly, or was never set up then it's unlikely you will be able to recover this account.

Start by going through the Sign-in helper mentioned in the following article from a laptop or a desktop.   

Problems signing in to your Yahoo account -
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/learn-fix-problems-password-yahoo-sln2051.html

When you go through the account recovery process and you see account recovery options that are no longer available you need to choose "I don't have access to this phone" or "I don't have access to this email" to see what see what other account recovery options are available.  If you get the "Uh oh" message saying the account can't be recovered online you can try the following but it's unlikely you will be able to recover this account.

Start here at Help for Yahoo Account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account
    Scroll down the page until you see a "Contact Us" button.
    Click on this to open a page that says "Need assistance with a Yahoo product? Let's see how we can help.".
    Under "Tell us your Yahoo email address and product." you select the product you want help with.  In this case it would be "Account".
    Enter your email address and check "I'm not a robot".  You may be sent to another CAPTCHA page for additional proof.
    Click the "Get started" button
    This opens the "CHOOSE SUPPORT OPTION" page.
    Under "Select from these options" you will find all the support options available to address this issue.

New 'Hoo

Thanks for the information. Yeah its an old account I made for a linked 3rd party site login. I never check the account, so I probably missed the email.

Going through the links and your information, it looks like I cant recover the account then. It's essentially an empty account so worries, bit of a shame though.

Thanks,

S

Pro 'Hoo

Hello ArthurDent,

Great info., but unfortunately all we get is a message saying "See product-related help articles."  In an endless loop of no help at all, no matter what is selected.

Yahoo mail is certainly broken for a lot of folks.  Like my 90 year old Mother that is unable to log in to her email account she opened when Yahoo email started, about 15 years ago.  Now all the email letters from her Husband, Children, the Grand kids, and Great Grand kids are suddenly unavailable.  She is indeed broken hearted not to have access to those 15 years of cherished memories.

Thanks Yahoo!  Pretty sure there is a special place all involved in breaking what was an excellent and trusted email service will eventually go.

Still hopeful some bright young tech engineer will come up with a solution to help Mom access her email account, ...would very much brighten her life.

Kind regards,

Mail Pro All-Star

Greetings Pepperjet

I'm sorry to hear that your 90 year mother is having problems accessing her email.  It's great when you can get seniors to embrace the newfangled things like personal computers and email.  You didn't mention why she was unable to access her email so I wouldn't expect any bright young tech engineer to be able to provide a solution until that issue has been defined.

Have a good day