cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Outlook keeps asking for Yahoo password

SOLVED
Pro 'Hoo

Outlook keeps asking for Yahoo password

Outlook 2016, where I have my yahoo account added with manual pop settings, as Yahoo publishes to do ...and even tried IMAP ... as of noon yesterday, keep getting error messages that cannot log on to server.  I am confidant I have right info ... username and password as I can access in the Windows 10 mail app and on line.  But, no longer works with Outlook 2016.

Please help as something obviously changed.  And, please know I have no setting that allows me in Yahoo Mail settings to toggle OK to use less secure apps.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Outlook keeps asking for Yahoo password

This setting "toggle OK to use less secure apps" only applies if you are using the Outlook app on a cellphone.  This allows Outlook to login to Yahoo without using an App generated password.  This is a far less secure way to operate and is not recommended.

Some other people have indicated they are having an issue getting connected as well.  Unfortunately I do not have Office 2016 so you may need to contact Microsoft and see what support they can offer.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Mail Pro All-star

Outlook is not a Yahoo product.  You will need to contact them if you need help.

https://support.office.com/en-us/outlook

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
28 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

This setting "toggle OK to use less secure apps" only applies if you are using the Outlook app on a cellphone.  This allows Outlook to login to Yahoo without using an App generated password.  This is a far less secure way to operate and is not recommended.

Some other people have indicated they are having an issue getting connected as well.  Unfortunately I do not have Office 2016 so you may need to contact Microsoft and see what support they can offer.

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
'Hoo Recruit

I have the same issue in Outlook Application on Android

New 'Hoo

it says "if the problem conitues, contact your email administrator." so we came to you for answer. we need your help.

'Hoo Recruit

Your 'Accepted Answer' does not fix the problem - I already have 'Alow apps that use less secure sign-in' set and it still keeps asking for a password. There is a problem  with Yahoo and I'm thinking of going to another email provider even though I've been with Yahoo for many years. A change has occurred in the last month or so that is causing this.

Pro 'Hoo

For me, the problem was resolved once I turned off double authentication security that Yahoo urged us to do after last time they were hacked. So less secure perhaps ... but it fixed my Outlook problem.
Mail Pro All-star

@sam1010

Microsoft, not Yahoo, is the owner of Outlook.  You will probably need to approach them for assitance.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
Pro 'Hoo

I did contact MS Office tech support. They point to Yahoo, yahoo points to them ... for now, if you agree with Yahoo new security authentication protocol ... you cannot bring Yahoo mail into an outlook environment. Use the Yahoo app for its email and then you can successfully use new protocol.
New 'Hoo

I did ask Microsoft and they answered quickly, they said it was a problem with Yahoo.
Mail Pro All-star

Greetings Chiefweasel

What version of Outlook are you using and are you using this on a laptop, desktop, phone, or tablet?