cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Yahoo messenger History and friends list under GDPR

Established 'Hoo

Re: Yahoo messenger History and friends list under GDPR

Thanks @okietom but I'm not interested in recovering the data. I just want to know whether the data (history and friends list )has been permanently destroyed and can no longer be recovered by any means. Where does it say that in the quote you provided? Please can you help me find out more. Thank you.

Established 'Hoo

Then maybe you can tell us, why the elaborate hoax?  Why go through the effort of creating a web page where we're told that we could download our messenger data?  Why pretend that the page actually worked?  Why string people along, as if you're running a long con?

That's just disrespectful and mean-spirited.  I and other former messenger users jumped through these hoops to get our messenger data downloads.  We didn't make it up, YAHOO gave us the instructions as to how to do this.

This has left me with a bad association about Yahoo.  After this there's no reason to believe Yahoo will actually do what it says it will.  I use Yahoo less, and removed it as one of my browser search options.

Where's the profit in lying to your users?

Established 'Hoo

The point is @sam8988378 Yahoo Messenger has now shut. What remains now is to get our data off Yahoo's systems, before they end up with some hacker or are otherwise stolen. So please people let Yahoo know that we demand that our data, associated with Yahoo Messenger should be permanently destroyed as proscribed by the law. @ArthurDent and @okietom have given instructions in this thread about how to contact Yahoo directly.

Mail Pro All-star

Hello @sam8988378

Long before Yahoo messenger was shut down you were notified via email and in help pages that it would, why it would, and when it would and  you had an opportunity to download any conversations you wanted to save.

On about July 11 of 2018 this email was sent to most using messenger:

Hello (username),

We see that you’ve used Yahoo Messenger recently, so we wanted to let you know that Yahoo Messenger will no longer be supported after July 17, 2018.

Before July 17, you can continue to use the service, but after that date, you will no longer have access to Yahoo Messenger. You can learn how to save your chats by visiting our FAQ.

We’ve loved working on Yahoo Messenger for you and want to thank you for using our product. We will continue to focus on building and introducing new, exciting communications tools that impact and delight our users.

Visit our FAQ to learn more. Thanks for being a Yahoo Messenger user!

Best,
The Yahoo Messenger team

Many complained they did not get their conversations, but it turned out they were attempting to download very old ones, and were told this:

We support data download only from latest Yahoo Messenger (released in Dec 2015). There's no way to download data from old versions.
I’m sorry we don’t have better news for you.

So the time to download has long passed and it is now gone.  That is not and was not a hoax.  You can read the FAQ section listed above or do some research on the subject.

I hope this helps your concerns.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
Established 'Hoo

Well clarified @okietom . However Yahoo still has an old webpage posted about the shutdown that talks about events that now in the past as if they are still in the future.

See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN28776.html?guccounter=1

Yahoo should now tie up the loose ends and put up a new detailed webpage explaining what happened to users data associated with Yahoo Messenger including the old pre December 3rd 2015 data that are stored on Yahoo's servers and in backup systems. This is what Oath did for AOL Instant Messenger Data when that service shut down a few months ago.

According to European Union law, it should be permanently destroyed. See here the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which came into effect on May 25th 2018 

Also, from the British Information Commissioners Office (ICO):

Principle (e): Storage limitation

• You must not keep personal data for longer than you need it.

The Irish Data Protection Commissioners Office has a similar webpage which says:

The Eight Principles of Data Protection

5.Where it is kept in a way that allows you to identify who the data is about, retain it for no longer than is necessary.

So to @sam8988378 and all other users of Yahoo Messenger: Yahoo is breaking the law and keeping us informed about what happened to our data is not something Yahoo can do at its discretion but is again another right guaranteed under the GDPR. 

Complain to Yahoo, mentioning the GDPR and demand that they tell us what happened to our data in the ways that were instructed by @ArthurDent and @okietom in previous posts. Or get in touch with your local Data Protection Regulator if you hold citizenship from an EU member state Norway, Switzerland or Lichtenstein or reside in any of them. Am I right @john_silver

'Hoo Recruit

Can someone explain, why has Un 1000 has been banned? He is very angry with this unexpected, unexplained and, really, unexplainable development. Solve people's problems Yahoo and you won't have to shoo people away.