cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Yahoo messenger History and friends list under GDPR

Established 'Hoo

Yahoo messenger History and friends list under GDPR

It's been two weeks since the function to download our ym history has been disabled. What happened to the data associated with ym? Our friends list and chat history? The webpage Yahoo has on the subject is six months old and talks about past events as if they are still in the future. We demand an official response from Yahoo and a new webpage explaining what happened to our data associated with ym, our friends list and chat history. According to the GDPR since the data is no longer needed it should be permanently deleted. Is this the case?

15 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Yahoo messenger History and friends list under GDPR

Greetings @Un1000

You can visit to the Oath Privacy Center and scroll to the bottom of the page.  You will see a link for a "Feedback Form".  Click on that and make your demands.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Established 'Hoo

I contacted Yahoo as you advised and all I got was a link to the webpage that has been up for more than six months, which I reference in my email and which doesn't answer my question. How very disrespectful! I insist and I want an answer to my questions. What have you done with our data Yahoo? According to the GDPR which is a European law and which must be obayed by all entities internationaly, we have a right to know what happened to our data and whether it has been permanently destroyed as is proscribed in this same law. I won't go away until I get answers!

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @Un1000

If you didn't get the answer you sought I would file a formal complaint with the GDPR.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Established 'Hoo

HI, I thought I would update you all about my wrestle with Yahoo to exercise our rights under the GDPR and find out what happened with all our Yahoo Messenger data (history and friends list). As they without warning closed my case, I opened up another case and replyed with the information quoted below...to which they replyed with a link to their terms of service and privacy policy. Unbelievable! I answered that I don't like accept these non answers and that I shall be contacting them through the Information Commissioners Office unless they provide real answers.

"I am contacting you again because all I got in response to my complaint was a link to the webpage that has been up for more than six months, which I reference in my email and which doesn't answer my question. How very disrespectful!

I insist and I want an answer to my questions. What have you done with our data Yahoo? According to the GDPR which is a European law and which must be obayed by all entities internationaly, we have a right to know what happened to our data and whether it has been permanently destroyed as is proscribed in this same law. 
Please read again my original email and answer the questions in it before I am forced to make a formal complaint with the information commissioners office which oversees the GDPR. I won't go away until I get answers!"
Established 'Hoo

Another update: Yahoo hasn't bothered to reply to my latest email. I have therefore contacted the Information Commissioners Office who have told me how start the formal process of enforcing our rights under law. To all of you out there: It is our right under the GDPR to have our history and friends list permanently deleted. Yahoo does not have the right to keep the data in its systems including in backup for ever. Demand your rights by commenting here or write to them directly through the link provided by ArthurdDent in his reply

Established 'Hoo

So, apparently Yahoo lied when they said that we can only download our data until the end of November: I checked and you can still download in late December. Which meens all our data is still stored in Yahoo's systems. YAHOO does not have right to keep our data for ever, but should permanently delete it, including from backup as proscribed by the GDPR. Otherwise your sensitive conversations will end up in the hands of whoever hacks Yahoo next. Demand your rights by commenting here and writing to the link provided by @ArthurDent. Or get in touch with the Data Protection Commissioners Office in your European Union member state.

Established 'Hoo

Hello @john_silver . Any chance of a Yahoo member of staff looking at this Yahoo Messenger problem? Yahoo has discontinued Messenger but has not told people what they did with their data (friends list and chat history). Have they been permanently destroyed? Please look through the conversations and give us some answers because Yahoo is once again breaking the law.

Established 'Hoo

I called Yahoo on their US hotline ( the only one they offer) and they don't have a clue what the GDPR is. They said they only deal with "customer issues" and gave me the address of their legal department. Words fail me...

@ArthurDent and @okietom and @john_silver is there any way to get a member of staff to tell us what happened to our data?

Mail Pro All-star

Hello @Un1000

Yahoo! Small Business GDPR Privacy Notice

If you access our applications, services, or websites, from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Norway, this Privacy Notice explains how Aabaco Small Business LLC (operating as Yahoo! Small Business and a member of the Verizon group of companies), collects, uses, and discloses your personal data when you register with us on our website or use our digital small business services ("YSB Services"). Collection, use, and disclosure of personal data is sometimes referred to as processing. This notice also explains your rights related to this data.

1. Personal data we use: Any data that could reasonably be used to identify you is personal data. We collect your personal data when you provide it to us and when you use the YSB Services. YSB collects personal data from you including your name, work or personal address, wireline and/or mobile telephone number, email address, IP address, payment details (including credit card and payment account information), social media information, business emails, any photos, images or videos you provide, and if we speak to you by phone, your call audio and other personal information provided during the call(s).

2. The data controller: Aabaco Small Business LLC located at 701 1st Ave, Sunnyvale, CA, 94089, United States.

3. Contact email: emeadataprotection@intl.verizon.com

See https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/privacy-notice

If the data you are asking about is Yahoo messenger, it no longer exists  and you can no longer recover any data.

If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".