cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Yahoo.com front page continually shows wrong weather location

SOLVED
Pro 'Hoo

Re: Yahoo.com front page continually shows wrong weather location

Are you kidding me? Yahoo Weather is so unmanageable as to be a joke, just as Yahoo itself is a big joke. I really do hope they die a very short death so we can get back to real internet  quality.

I'm sorry I wasted my time trying to find a solution to a problem that Yahoo could care less about.

New 'Hoo

I have done this so many times, it still showing Califorina weather.  (I'm inTexas)

'Hoo Recruit

Well I'm in California and it keeps showing me Austin, TX!!!!

Mail Pro All-star

Hello @mhjlyle

Manage favorite locations

Some products, like Yahoo Weather, let you maintain a list of favorite locations that you can switch between. You can manage your favorite locations list (not your default location) from your account preferences:

1. Sign in and access your Account Info page.
  2. Click Preferences on the left.
  3. Mouse over one and click the Delete icon Image of Yahoo accounts delete icon. to remove it or click Add Favorite location to add more.
If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
'Hoo Recruit

I only have ONE town in my list and it's NOT Austin, Texas. No matter what I do....Austin, TX keeps coming back as my default.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @mhjlyle

Do you use a VPN to connect to the Internet?  If so the VPN's server may be located in Austin, TX and the weather is being displayed based on this.  What browser are you using?  When you view the Yahoo Home Page what location is being shown.  When you click on the icon the right of the location name to open the location box is Austin, Tx shown with a checkmark by it?  If so can you remove the checkmark and enter your correct location?

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
'Hoo Recruit

No....our servers aren't in Austin.

I tell Yahoo to 'detect my location' and when I do that it properly displays the weather for where I currently am. My home location is my default. So why would it be able to properly detect my current location......yet if I close my browser and open it up again it goes right back to Austin, TX??

Frustrating.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @mhjlyle

You didn't mention what browser you're using.  Is your browser set to delete cookies when you close it? 

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
'Hoo Recruit

Sorry. Using Firefox. Cookies are deleted when Firefox is closed.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @mhjlyle

I suspect that could be your issue.  Yahoo uses cookies and one of them is likely contains information on your location.  You could try clearing the cookies, cache, and autofill information for your browser to make sure you have no old, incorrect, or corrupted information present.  Be sure you select to delete all information as current browsers allow you to delete by date range.  Once you do that close the browser, and then open it again.  Set your browser to accept cookies, go back to the Yahoo Home page and view your location both from the weather panel on home page but you can also click on the "Manage Location" link and make sure you enable "Location History".  You can check what cookies you see from Yahoo, if you like, but I would close the browser with your cookies enabled.  I would wait a minute or town and then open your browser and go back to the Yahoo Home page.