cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Yahoo! Groups with a non-Yahoo email ?

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

Re: Yahoo! Groups with a non-Yahoo email ?

No that didnt work.

I'm trying by creating a yahoo email, but what a pain!

Endlessly goingaround in circles trying to accept an invitation to join a group

New 'Hoo

Pasting the solution recommended in the forum as reference.  On clicking "Join Group" at step 3, it displays the Yahoo log-in dialog box requiring the invitee to enter a yahoo email id and password or create a yahoo email id.  It does not prompt for membership info etc.

1. Open the email containing the group invitation.
  2. Click Join Group.
    - You'll be taken to the group's "About" page, where you can read about the group.
  3. If you'd like to join, click Join Group, on the group's homepage.
    -You're prompted to confirm your membership info.
  4. Enter a display name
  5. Select the alias you'd like to use.
  6. Select your email address.
  7. Select a message delivery option.
  8. Enter the CAPTCHA code.
  9. Click Send Request.
Pro 'Hoo

Well, the suggestion to send email to <groupname> followed by "owner" then <at>yahoogroups.com is useless.  Just sends an email to the moderator - and there's nothing in the email.  no link to allow moderator to get the gmail account joined.  nothing.  yahoo is basically making this yahoogroups useless.  like aol is useless, yahoo going the same route.  so sad.

'Hoo Recruit

Yahoo Groups, just like Yahoo itself, is becoming irrelevant, a burnt out shriveled up husk of a tech company, totally devoid of any competency.  Nothing works, Yahoo emails, Yahoo ID's, Yahoo Groups, nothing ties together, stuff works sometimes and not other times.

No wonder Google has beaten the ***bleep*** out of Yahoo.  Only a matter of time until they go belly up.

'Hoo Recruit

The way to request to subscribe to the yahoo groups I'm in is **Username Protected**@yahoogroups.com. Might work for other groups also.
'Hoo Recruit

Wow!!! Yahoo omitted the most important thing I wrote! I'm going to try to rewrite it here in such a way that it isn't flagged. I'll put spaces between the letters and write hyphen instead of using one. The way to subscribe to yahoo groups I'm in is to type name of group then a hyphen then the word subscribe and then the at sign and then yahoogroups. There are no spaces, just the hyphen and at sign between the components. We'll see if this gets past the censors.
'Hoo Recruit

It no longer gives the option to join a group without a Yahoo email. It just takes you to the Yahoo sign-in page. That is, if the invitation email gets sent at all. Tearing my hair out trying to invite new members to this group which is 14 years old. The problems started with Neo and have gotten worse. Support is nonexistent. When I wrote, I had to use some other Help category since there is none for groups no any general "Other." They replied by telling me to look at Help Central. I wrote back and said I am reporting a bug, not asking how to use it. Miraculously, a couple days later the invitations went through. But the non Yahoo people are still out of luck. If this is not fixed will be moving this old but active group off Yahoo.

'Hoo Recruit

@jessicarabbit, I'm in a group that's that or older. For this same reason--only yahoo emails can fully participate--our moderator is moving us to "groups.io" (I don't know anything about it). She wrote that she thinks she can add us all herself, and to add the email address (groupname)@groups.io to our address book to alleviate spam intercepting. I've always had a yahoo email so our yahoo group works well for me, but not for many others who only have gmail.

'Hoo Recruit

Thanks very much @ZinniasFTW! Groups.io sounds really good. I'm reluctant to use Google due to all the tracking, but but looks like Groups.io is free, and free of that kind of thing!  

I've always had a Yahoo address too and never tried to sign up without one, but today I went through the process myself. It seems to just add gmail people to the mailing list (I haven't tried sending any mail) though they show as being in the group with posting priveleges.

After confirming my own invitation, I saw the gmail address show under my list of aliases. I'm not sure how Yahoo made the connection that it was me with the gmail as I thought I had logged out. Maybe cookies, or maybe I was logged in.

So it created a Yahoo alias out of the gmail address. In order to fully use the group she would have to create a Yahoo account. If Yahoo doesn't make the connection between the new yahoo and gmail, I could send her a new invite to the gmail (sigh) while she's signed into Yahoo (I think this would work).

I guess in effect it's the same as before, that the gmail user only has limited access unless they also have a Yahoo account. But it used to take people through a process as they joined and now it goes in circles. To make matters worse, there's a second person who joined under gmail but I don't think she has yet tried to access the group to read old messages or just see what's in the group.

Today the days-old invitations and join requests actually being delivered, so I'm wondering if this issue will clear up too. If problems continue then the whole gang will be over at Groups.io.

Thanks again!