cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Yahoo! Groups with a non-Yahoo email ?

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

Yahoo! Groups with a non-Yahoo email ?

I invited somebody to my Yahoo! Group, and when they get the invitation email (to their Gmail account) there's a 'Join' button... when that is clicked it takes you to the Yahoo! Groups homepage with another 'Join' button...

but clicking that button takes you to the Yahoo! login page which requires a Yahoo! account.  They tried entering the Gmail address but it says 'not recognized'

I thought at some point you didn't need a Yahoo! address to receive emails from Yahoo! Groups ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Yahoo! Groups with a non-Yahoo email ?

Hi @marcgorcey,  yes, someone can be in a Yahoo group without a Yahoo email, but all they will be able to do is get group emails so they will be left out of a lot of group features.

Join a group | Yahoo Help - SLN2409

Responding to an invitation

Did you get an email invitation to join an existing group? Learn how you can accept the invite, and join the group.

Full membership invites
  1. Open the email containing the group invitation.
  2. Click Join Group.
    - You'll be taken to the group's "About" page, where you can read about the group.
  3. If you'd like to join, click Join Group, on the group's homepage.
    -You're prompted to confirm your membership info.
  4. Enter a display name
  5. Select the alias you'd like to use.
  6. Select your email address.
  7. Select a message delivery option.
  8. Enter the CAPTCHA code.
  9. Click Send Request.

Success! You've accepted the invitation.

Email-only subscription invites
  2. To join the group's mailing list, click Join mailing list.
    - You'll be taken to the group's "About" page, where you can read about the group.
  3. To upgrade your email-only subscription to a full membership with Web access, click upgrade to full membership, on the page that loads.
Subscribing to a group's mailing list

Subscribing to a group's mailing list means that you will only receive email messages from the group, so you won't have access to the group's Web features (like photos, files, links, polls, calendar, etc.) unless you get Web access with a full membership later.

1. Send a blank email to groupname-subscribe @yahoogroups.com
    Note: Replace groupname with the actual name of the group.
    -You'll be sent a confirmation email from the group.
  2. Reply to the confirmation email to activate your subscription.
If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
18 REPLIES
Reliable 'Hoo

If you want to receive e-mails from Groups without using the Web features (which is what requires the Yahoo account, the cell-phone number for second-factor authentication, etc.) you use the direct sign-up that was 'grandfathered' into Groups from the old 'majordomo' e-mail list approach.

To subscribe, your 'invitee' sends an e-mail to <groupname>-**Username Removed**@yahoogroups.com (use the actual name of the group, of course).  This goes to the moderators for approval; if approved the invitee will receive a response e-mail.  If they in turn respond to that e-mail, they will receive the Group's e-mails going forward without having to register with creation of a Yahoo account.

A moderator can then go in and change the e-mail preferences for the invitee (in the Management tab) to 'individual e-mails', 'daily digest', or 'special notices.'  There's also an option for 'no e-mails' but that isn't really useful for e-mail only members...

The choice for a new invitee really depends on whether they want to use any of the 'enhanced features' of Groups that are accessed via the Web page, such as Files or Photos.  If they do, they should go ahead, set up the Yahoo account (and use the 'free' e-mail address that comes with it as a secondary e-mail for identification), and supply a second-factor SMS-capable telephone number.

Pro 'Hoo

review https://help.yahoo.com/kb/sln2567.html  which suggests "add to mailing list only" checkbox.

You can definitely have users without yahoo email addresses in your group.  Been doing that for years.  Having said that, you can no longer "add" members to groups without the invitation.  A recent change.  I wish that feature to be added back as some legitimate users just aren't technical enough to "accept" the invitation.  

wish you luck.

Reliable 'Hoo

"review <reference had to be removed by community rules!> which suggests "add to mailing list only" checkbox."

When I click the link in the post, I get redirected to the default help page without any further comment about what the right reference or context might be.  However, if I copy and paste it, as it is displayed in the post, into the browser address line directly, it comes up correctly.

It's kind of fun that you can approximate the -subscribe command for them with a simple checkbox.  That's by no means a simple thing to code, unless all it essentially does is put the -subscribe command in as the 'return link' in the invitation you send.  And that doesn't tie in with the 'core priority' (for Yahoo) of getting new members to sign up for the Yahoo registry even if they just do the majordomo stuff.  Has anyone reported on what happens when a new member is invited 'mailing-list only' and clicks on the whatever-it-is-they're-presented-with in the invitation?  (Maybe this is in the help system somewhere, but you sure as double-toothpicks can't find it from that help page...)

"You can definitely have users without yahoo email addresses in your group.  Been doing that for years."

Here's the thing: they need multiple e-mails to avoid problems like the 'deadlock' (where security sends the recovery code to the e-mail of the account you need to access), and it benefits poor Yahoo to let them sign you up for a proprietary ("the first one's free") address that works in a non-deprioritized part of the Yahoo system.   So I think it's appropriate to present the opportunity to register the Yahoo Mail address as the 'second' e-mail even if it is not the primary by default.  The key here is to explain why it's a good idea ... and THEN let a user opt out of having one if they choose (or are too bewildered at that point, etc.)

" ... you can no longer "add" members to groups without the invitation.  A recent change.  I wish that feature to be added back as some legitimate users just aren't technical enough to "accept" the invitation."

Part of what I sort of wish they'd do is allow someone else to enter the information for them, in a different window ... provided for moderators.  You then get to send them an e-mail explaining about the invitation, and asking them in plain language for the various things needed to set them up, finishing up with whatever boilerplate, user agreement, or whatever they accept or V-sign or whatever to acknowledge and accept the TOS.  They then e-mail you their chosen data, in lieu of having to type it into Yahoo's user-hostile stuff and watching the purple abend prompts flock by, and you type the data in (using your protected access as a security check) to establish them as a member, and handle any error conditions or problems in the background, where the technical fear and loathing doesn't show.  Of course they then get a confirmation (with whatever metadata or munged ID Yahoo wants to include) and the standard Yahoo notices about how to unsubscribe, the Doofenschmirtz self-destruct unsubscribe button right there, and the rest. 

Note the similarity of the "manage invitations" controls to the old, lost batch-add feature (that was first cut down to 10 names at a time, and then removed completely):  you can easily automate a list of names and e-mails into this with only a couple of steps -- steps the programmers assumed would be pro forma for most users -- and the rest of the operation would have only nominal latency beyond a batch add.  If everything worked, and there weren't secret disabling restrictions (carefully undescribed but terribly final without a working Help Community to reset things) on how many names you can actually invite in a given period, it would actually make sense to invite rather than batch, as it eliminates any real possibility of slamming people who might not want to be in a Group after they find out what's in it.  As I remember Shal Farley saying, if you could talk the invitees through the response process, or tell them how to assure reception of the invitation 'as sent', many of the problems could be avoided.  I think it would be advisable, for the next people running the Groups system, to make that so ... or come up with something better that works right for new users.

Pro 'Hoo

Re:  

"To subscribe, your 'invitee'

sends an e-mail to <groupname>-**Username Removed**@yahoogroups.com (use the actual name of the group, of course). "

I tried this once as an address, once with the space removed, once with **usernameremoved** as subject and in message body and only <groupname>@yahoogroups.com as address

and once <groupname>**Username Removed**@yahoogroups.com.  None of those messages showed up as mail at the group.  What am I doing wrong please?

Pro 'Hoo

oops last one addressed rather

<groupname>-**Username Removed**@yahoogroups.com

Pro 'Hoo

I see now everytime i write "owner" the program switches with 

double astrix username removed double astrix in red.

Writing "owner" is forbidden before the @

Mail Pro All-star

Hi @marcgorcey,  yes, someone can be in a Yahoo group without a Yahoo email, but all they will be able to do is get group emails so they will be left out of a lot of group features.

Join a group | Yahoo Help - SLN2409

Responding to an invitation

Did you get an email invitation to join an existing group? Learn how you can accept the invite, and join the group.

Full membership invites
  2. Click Join Group.
  3. If you'd like to join, click Join Group, on the group's homepage.
    -You're prompted to confirm your membership info.
  4. Enter a display name
  5. Select the alias you'd like to use.
  6. Select your email address.
  7. Select a message delivery option.
  8. Enter the CAPTCHA code.
  9. Click Send Request.

Success! You've accepted the invitation.

Email-only subscription invites
  2. To join the group's mailing list, click Join mailing list.
  3. To upgrade your email-only subscription to a full membership with Web access, click upgrade to full membership, on the page that loads.
Subscribing to a group's mailing list

Subscribing to a group's mailing list means that you will only receive email messages from the group, so you won't have access to the group's Web features (like photos, files, links, polls, calendar, etc.) unless you get Web access with a full membership later.

1. Send a blank email to groupname-subscribe @yahoogroups.com
    Note: Replace groupname with the actual name of the group.
    -You'll be sent a confirmation email from the group.
  2. Reply to the confirmation email to activate your subscription.
If an answer helps you please give a kudo.
If it solves a problem please accept it as "Accepted Solution".
'Hoo Recruit

How in the world does this answer the problem question? The user does NOT get a Display Name message, they (and my members) get a Yahoo Sign In page. How the **bleep** do you join a group from an invitation to a non-Yahoo account?! This does NOT answer that question. How do you NOT get the Yahoo Sign In page????!!!

New 'Hoo

I succed to add a gmail acount without yahoo mail confirmation. Your group have a subcription address GROUP_NAME-**Username Protected**@yahoogroups.com . Send an empty mail from gmail to this adress, and in minute you  will get an mail to confirm, and moderator accept you and, thats it. Try it and anounce me if you succed.