cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Problem with downloading historical stock and index data

New 'Hoo

Problem with downloading historical stock and index data

When I click on the "Download Data" link for historical stock quotes, I'm only getting about a month's worth of data, even if there is 50 years worth of data. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's a link to download the S&P 500's historical data.

Before the new interface this link used to get data going back to the early 1950s. This happens now for all indexes and stocks.

Any tips welcome.

Doug

4 REPLIES
Pro 'Hoo

Re: Problem with downloading historical stock and index data

I wouldn't worry about downloading, because it is inaccurate if the stock or fund has a dividend.  Until they fix that who cares.   What is currently listed as the adjsuted close, is not, it is the actual close.

It seems that with the new format or sometime in the last 9 months that the adjusted close column was lost. 

There probably is an easier way to download it all in one step, but I have taken the tedious approach of simply copying and pasting it into an excel spreadsheet using weekly data to go back 10 years or so.  Or course if you download the data, you can correctly call the adjusted close, the close and then create a new column to calculate the adjsuted close by factoring in the dividend.  

GL

Finance All-star

Doug,

I have no idea what you are doing wrong.  I just went to the link below or you can go to finance.yahoo.com and click the S&P 500 link in the upper left which will bring you to the quote summary for S&P 500 (^GSPC).  Click on Historical Data tab then click the highlighted date range to the right of Time Period.  Then click MAX and the Start Date will update to 1/3/1950.  Click Done then Apply.  Then you can click Download Data and voila you will have a .csv file with 16,800 rows of data back to 1950.  You better have a fast internet connection.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EGSPC/history?p=%5EGSPC

Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

I use MarketXLS. It really worked great for me.

New 'Hoo

I use *Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.* to get my financial data. The data quality is great and you can access it with a variety of different methods.