cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Fake Microsoft Security Alerts pop ups

SOLVED
New 'Hoo

Re: Fake Microsoft Security Alerts pop ups

It's definitely yahoo and their ads. I manage 20 computers and 2 of the users get it regularly. It always points back to yahoo. I installed an ad blocker for one. Seems to have worked so far. The other just decided to use a different website as their homepage.

New 'Hoo

My husband had a popup while on his Yahoo account that was about the Yahoo security breach and had a link to check your credit. Thinking it was from Yahoo! he clicked and got a "free" credit score. Somewhere in there he was asked for credit card and he gave it (sigh). I found out about this when charges started showing up for a subscription to OTL Scoresense, a credit "protection" site. He called today and cancelled it. Watch out for this scam! It looked like a legitimate notice from Yahoo!.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @grannyMT

Identify legitimate Yahoo websites, requests, and communications - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN2092.html?impressions=true

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
'Hoo Recruit

This describes what I've seen exactly. It only happens when Yahoo.com is open. I use the Chrome browser.

My guess is there is a vulnerability in the advertising code that is allowed to run on Yahoo. I suspect some sort of script is allowed to execute that is being used maliciously.

A new tab is opened. Chrome is locked up (cannot change tabs or close Chrome normally). The warning message has a fully red background.

It happens to me once or twice a month. I use Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to close Chrome then all is well again. Scanning with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes finds nothing.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @rd226

Have you tried one of the previously mentioned things that appears to resolve this issue?  That being installing an ad blocker like uBlock Origin or going into the Chrome settings and turning off Javascript so that it doesn't run while you are visiting the Yahoo site.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
'Hoo Recruit

Thanks. I just blocked Javascript on Yahoo.com within Chrome.

This shouldn't be necessary, of course. I use several other sites that don't pass along this problem and don't require any technical attention. I think about all the non-technical users who are either fooled into calling the scammers or simply unplug their computers (or perform some other abrupt shutdown). I don't know what happens if you click on the scam message... I don't know if nefarious links are present too.

I don't know the technical challenge but I've seen the scam message enough times now to realize it is specific to leaving a tab open to Yahoo. I tend to use the Yahoo homepage (for news/articles) and the Finance page, but as mentioned, suspect it is connected to script(s) being run to serve ads.

For Yahoo, this is a reputation thing. It makes me hesitant to tell people to use its website.

'Hoo Helper

@ArthurDent

while I appreciate your suggestion about adblockers, the plain truth is that Yahoo users should not be subjected to this malicious ad that Yahoo allows on its site. So my question is, has Yahoo made any effort whatsoever to ban the advertisers who place that malicious script onto Yahoo's site.

This is Yahoo's responsibility to fix, not the users. But, as far as I can tell, Yahoo cares far more about allowing its advertisers to damage users computers than it does about protecting them.

How can any company be so incredibly irresponsible and not seem to even realize they are being so? And who at Yahoo is stupid enough to believe that this is a good long term startegy to save a slowly dying company? No one should need to install ad blocker or whatever to protect their computers from a supposedly respectable company. Yahoo's arrogance is truly mind boggling.

New 'Hoo

As the General Manager of a Computer Repair store in my city I can confirm these Maliscous pop-up advertisements on multiple Brand new installations of windows. I have seen these popups come completely out of the blue after simply loading the Yahoo.com page and sitting idle, not clicking on anything. Due to the nature of how these have come up and condition of the computer over 10 times on 10 seperate machines I can confirm that these pop-ups are not being cause just by infections on client computers. It will happen no matter what, and computers with addequete virus/malware protection will actually make attempts at blocking these but those with no protection watching for this will in fact get completely taken over by this Java based Pop-Up.

Mail All-star

@Serif ,

I have not encountered this myself with no add blocker running,can you explain in which browser did it happen in.What add-ons were running ?

-Did you try disabling add-ons or put browser in safe mode

-Did you try using a private browser window

New 'Hoo

I had that issue too... I went into security settings and removed the privilege of other applications to open up instances of Chrome/Explorer.  That seemed to work.