cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Fake Microsoft Security Alerts pop ups

SOLVED
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Fake Microsoft Security Alerts pop ups

Greetings @StephanieKastan

If you do decide to abandon your yahoo account here's how to close it after you have moved anything you want to save to your new account.  This way you can make a clean break from Yahoo.

Closing your Yahoo! account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN2044.html?impressions=true

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
New 'Hoo

I got the same fake pop-up microsoft security.

It only originates from the yahoo website and I isolated the link and sent it to the FBI Cyber Crime division however, Yahoo if you are monitoring this message board here is the the link to investigate.

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*

New 'Hoo

Yahoo removed the link however, Yahoo you need to review the link and fix your website.

New 'Hoo

I have the same problem. Popup happens on Yahoo news only. My computer freezes and I have to do a hard shutdown. I have win 7 and run malware scans which finds nothing. This problem has been going on for months - maybe once every 10 times I start to read the news on Yahoo. . I NEVER dowload anything I don't recognize and, since this problem only occurs with yahoo news, I'm left with thinking that there's a vulnerability that being exploited with the yahoo site. I never see it on the hundred of other URLs I need to visit. 

Since other users are experiencing and reporting this problem perhaps it's time for the Yahoo Geek squad to take a closer peek.

'Hoo Recruit

I have the same problem.  For the record, the following did NOT work in Chrome:

settings, advanced, "content settings" (in the "Privacy and security" section), tap the triangle across from "java script," tap on "add" across from "Block," and inputting "yahoo.com." 

This an option to "block" all java script entirely, I haven't tried that. 

Yahoo, FIX THIS PROBLEM

'Hoo Recruit

Umm. This is a widespread problem. Seems millions can "replicate" it. I have this problem and nothing works. I use Chrome and I'm in private mode. I have the best adblock, malwarebytes, avast, and firewall. The Microsoft alert will pop up everytime I use Yahoo mail. Even if I let it just sit there on the inbox page. It's Yahoo letting in infected ads. I can't disable Java in Chrome or add a block forYahoo mail to it because when I try to log into my Yahoo mail while it's added it says I need to use classic. When I try that option it takes me to an error screen. Yahoo isn't allowing me to block Yahoo mail in Java Chrome settings. This is not "CLOSED". Please try to fix it or Yahoo fix this issue! Yahoo techs are robbing a living.

'Hoo Recruit

This is a temporary fix I bet, but I have stopped it for the time being.  

In Chrome: settings, advanced, "content settings" (in the "Privacy and security" section), tap the triangle across from "java script," tap on "add" across from "Block," and input "*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*" without the quotes. 

I triggered the Alert and for some reason it came up in my browser instead of full screen.  I was able to copy the IP address, but I expect it will be different tomorrow. 

YAHOO, FIX THIS PROBLEM !!

'Hoo Recruit

This is happening in Chrome and Firefox  and many people posted this. Why are you stating that using these browsers may help? I also have Origin UBlock as does many people. Bring us something better and more relevant please. How about a cure? The Microsoft Alert even crops up without clicking on anything and being static while in Yahoo Mail. It's truly a Yahoo problem. It's not a virus or adware on the computer being used. I have multiple anti virus and anti malware. Nothing turns up. 

'Hoo Recruit

This virus came back after 4 days, but here is a quick and easy fix from Chrome users.  

When the virus starts up, it will probably go to full screen.  Hit escape to get out of that.  You will then see the IP address.  write down just the first section of it.   

Then used cntl + alt + delete to shut down Chrome.  Then go to settings, advanced, "content settings" (in the "Privacy and security" section), tap the triangle across from "java script," tap on "add" across from "Block," and inputting the http plus the IP address. 

This may stop it for a few days. 

New 'Hoo

there appears to be something in one of the Javascript files on the yahoo site which pops this crap up and locks everything (a system modal box or something like that).  I saved off my entire temp directory when this happened a while ago and scan those files regularly with a couple different virus scanners on a couple different machines and nobody notices anything.  it would appear that nobody thinks that something that locks up a browser (any browser based on comments I have seen) is a problem - I call that a "denial of service" problem which should be detected by a good virus scanner.

I have seen comments in the past which suggest that a lot of people know about this but I am surprised that nobody does anything about it.  it should be easy to detect this kind of thing (after all javascript is text) so alerting a user about a suspect javascript file should be easy to do.