cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Spanish and Chinese.

Fake Microsoft Security Alerts pop ups

SOLVED
Highlighted
New 'Hoo

Fake Microsoft Security Alerts pop ups

Everytime I use https://my.yahoo.com I get a fake Microsoft Security Alert pop up. It only happens with MY YAHOO. What is the story with this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail All-star

Re: Fake Microsoft Security Alerts pop ups

I couldn't replicate your issue so you need to scan your system with virus/malware scanners.Try with add ons disabled or a private browser window to see if it happens or not.

10 REPLIES
Mail All-star

I couldn't replicate your issue so you need to scan your system with virus/malware scanners.Try with add ons disabled or a private browser window to see if it happens or not.

'Hoo Recruit

Happened to me too.  Windows 10 and up-to-date Norton 360 , Chrome Browser and signed in to my.yahoo at the time, clicked on 'sports on the yahoo headers, clicked to read on story about Muslim athlete setting up Christmas tree - full scan after discovered nothing

Before executing an emergency shut down  - could not navigate off pg. , couldn't exit browser,  couldn't access start button or other windows task bar icons

Hope this helps, I'm not going to try to 'get it' again - I do remember the address bar was jibberish

'Hoo Recruit

... oh yeah.

Forgot to say I have opened and used my.yahoo many times since with both Chrome and Edge with no issues

... and I ran ccleaner at start-up following the emergency shutdown

New 'Hoo

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday.  I know it was just a fake because I ran scans using both malwarebytes and Windows Defender - no malware or viruses found.

I had gone to this page on Yahoo when it first started:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/comedians-mock-haunted-trump-robot-disney-world-070423006--abc-news-topsto...

After that, I was redirected to the following websites, according to my Chrome history:

1:39 PM Important Information disk-60ki0.stream
1:31 PM Important Information server1.treasure-2day.com
1:31 PM Important Information redirect.selitutes-touning.com
1:31 PM Important Information selitutes-touning.com
1:31 PM Important Information fastclickrewards.com
1:31 PM Important Information adverrd.global.ssl.fastly.net
1:31 PM Important Information www.yahoo.com

I don't know if you can do anythihng about it now, but I did want to report it somewhere so that the folks at Yahoo were at least aware of it.

New 'Hoo

I have had the same problem a lot lately, twice today actually.  I am using Windows 10 & Edge browser. Like the others I scan with Webroot, Super Anti Spyware, use Ccleaner too often maybe but it seems to popup on Yahoo Mail while trying to check my email.

Lately it says I have ***bleep***graphic information, I am a girl who doesn't watch or look at **bleep** & in fairness this is a used laptop that I have had for about 2 years now without other issues. Rebooting seems to clear it, scaning never detects anythhing, but it's so annoying I am about to quit Yahoo mail after using my account most if not all of this century.  So I am pretty sure it is somehow attached to the Yahoo system since that is where it comes up.

I can spend hours on Facebook or web surfing & have no issue but daily or more than once a day issues with it signed in to Yahoo Smiley Sad

New 'Hoo

I have seen these for a while on Yahoo, but finding someone who will actually troubleshoot them on the server side is nearly impossible.  The easy answer is always "run a bunch of scans...it MUST be on your side".  

I found this thread today, and I believe this to be a similar issue.  I think some dirty ad provider found a new way to sneak their junk into the served ads in a very targeted way which makes it difficult for a dis-interested support staff to find.  

Please note...I said "similar"...not the same.  I'm sure Yahoo uses their own ad serving mechanisms which will be different from what the page below discusses.  

*Link Removed - See the community guidelines for more information.*

"

The origin of the bad campaigns is Google and our ad quality team contacted them as soon as we found that they were the source so that they can remove these two campaigns along with the advertiser. However, we didn’t receive confirmation from them on Friday that they removed what we asked. Instead, they replied that problem is not from them, regardless of the fact we provided Google with the logs proving that the bad campaigns were served by them.

In a nutshell, we found the problem (the two campaigns) and its source (Google), therefore we requested the removal of the problematic campaigns and advertiser, but Google didn’t do what we asked for so that the issue continues.

We reached Google again with the new log, which showed the same campaign we flagged to them on Friday. Google is now concerned finely!"

New 'Hoo

Of course the link is removed...it might be helpful.

it was on tivocommunity.  I'm sure if you search for it you will find it.  

New 'Hoo

I like reading the news on yahoo.  Lately I get these fake microsoft security alerts popping up.  I just had another one.  This one pretty much locked up my computer.  I had to do a control alt del to get to my microsoft edge browser and end it.  This only happens on yahoo and no where else.  I runs scans after each episode and nothing is ever found.  This only happens on yahoo.  What is going on?  I have run multiple scans on my computer with different products so I know my computer is clean.

New 'Hoo

The fake security pop-up via the Yahoo News Feed started happening January 12 201***Phone Number Removed - Learn more.***le using Yahoo News Feed and the redirect still happened. 

Very sad that this is happening.  I like my Yahoo News Feed. 

Any ideas on how to clear this issue up?