cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Block unwanted "news" of Kardashians

Mail Pro All-star

Re: Block unwanted "news" of Kardashians

Greetings @ladysurgerydoc6

Have you started using Yahoo's new feature that allows you to click on the three dots on the side of each article and specify that you would like to see fewer articles from this news source?  Have you done any experimenting with ad blockers to see if they can block the word "Kardashians"?  I use the uBlock Origin ad blocker and it has some really great filters.  I set one to block all the articles that show as "Sponsored" and that works well.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Established 'Hoo

@ArthurDent

I have been clicking furiously on the three little dots. It seems to make a dent in the nonsense and drivel Yahoo puts on its homepage, but there is so much of it that much remains. But it helps and I will admit that I appreciate Yahoo's willingness to offer that option.

As to ad blockers. I do have one on one of my computers. I can't say I have spent a lot of time setting filters. The blocker does seem to help... I think... It is hard to tell. And, frankly, my feeling is that I shouldn't really have to bother. It isn't my responsibility to make Yahoo worthy of my time, it is Yahoo's. At least I am not getting any of those malware popups that many complained about in the past that were hiding in the ads Yahoo allowed on its site. I am not getting those on my other computers either. I would like to think that this is because Yahoo saw the light and dealt with that very real threat to their users and not because I added an ad blocker.

It doesn't change my point, though, about the negative effect Yahoo's story choices has on Yahoo's reputation. No one with any degree of intelligence, at this point, would ever see Yahoo as a serious source for news.

Mail Pro All-star

Have you started your letter-writing campaign yet?  You can compose letters to the editors about the drivel that Yahoo posts on its home page and urge them to change if they want to be taken seriously as a source of news.  You can contact your local newspapers and the national newspapers to see about submitting them.  You could post about this issue on your Facebook wall and start posting about it on Twitter.  Have you sent this to Yahoo's Twitter to see what response you get. 

You can even provide Yahoo feedback here about its homepage or here about Yahoo news to let them know your opinion and suggestions for changes.  You could start an online petition and see how many people you can get to sign up to urge Yahoo to change the format of its home page so it can be taken seriously as a news source. 

Once you get the ball rolling and hear back from others that are as concerned as you are you could even organize some pickets outside the Yahoo Headquarters to see if you can get some local news coverage.  It will be even better if the story is picked up by the national newsfeeds.

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Established 'Hoo

@ArthurDent

Your sarcasm is surely not an official response from yahoo I assume. I have far better things to do with my time (like saving real people's lives. How many lives have you saved this week?) than waste it establishing a "make Yahoo better" campaign. I am expressing my opinion. Sorry if it offends you. Seriously, that was an inappropriately sarcastic response. Yahoo's trajectory as a company, which is steadily downward, should be more than enough message for Yahoo to take a serious look at its product. Pickets at the door are not the answer. Yahoo is free to accept my opinion or not. No need to get sarcastic. You certainly have not helped your own reputation with that obnoxious response. Get over yourself. What you do here, like Yahoo, is really not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Mail Pro All-star

Posting your opinion here isn't going to garner the attention of Yahoo.  Posting your opinion using the two feedback links I posted will get your opinions looked at by members of the Yahoo product team.  Looking at the news link I see there is already a post ranked as 19th about this very topic.  The "GATHERING FEEDBACK" tag indicates it's being reviewing by the team.

Your opinion of me is really not that important in the grand scheme of things but I do enjoy reading what you post.

I'm sorry that my response appears to have caused you distress.  Perhaps the following will help.

Minions Hugs.JPG

Established 'Hoo

Hug graciously appreciated. LOL.

'Hoo Recruit

I am so freaking tired if seeing volumes of Kardashian/Jenner?Kanhye  garbage, I want to vomit!

New is supposed to be NEWS and informative.  Not about a bunch of **bleep**s and psychos.

I can't block any of it!  Sad when journalisum thinks this is even considered entertinment.