cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in Español (Spanish) and 中文 (Chinese).

Announcement: Yahoo Messenger will be discontinued after July 17, 2018

Highlighted
Administratin' 'Hoo

Announcement: Yahoo Messenger will be discontinued after July 17, 2018

Yahoo Messenger will no longer be supported after July 17, 2018. Until then, you can continue to use the service normally. After July 17, you'll no longer be able to access your chats and the service will no longer work. Read our FAQs below for more info on what this means for you.

FAQs

Why is Yahoo Messenger going away?

We know we have many loyal fans who have used Yahoo Messenger since its beginning as one of the first chat apps of its kind. As the communications landscape continues to change over, we're focusing on building and introducing new, exciting communications tools that better fit consumer needs.

Is there a replacement product for Yahoo Messenger?

There currently isn’t a replacement product available for Yahoo Messenger. We're constantly experimenting with new services and apps, one of which is an invite-only group messaging app called Yahoo Squirrel (currently in beta). You can request an invite at squirrel.yahoo.com.

Can I download my chat history?

For the next 6 months, you can download your chat history to you personal computer or device.

1. Got to the downloader request site.
  2. Sign in.
  3. Select a verification method, then enter the Account Key sent to you.
  4. Click Download.
  5. Enter the email where you want the file sent and click OK.
  6. Watch your email for the file.

I still have the app installed on my computer or phone. Will it still work?

After July 17, 2018, you won't be able to access or sign in to Yahoo Messenger. We recommend that you delete the app after you've downloaded your chat history and anything else you’d like to save.

Does this impact my Yahoo ID?

No, your Yahoo ID will continue to work for other Yahoo products, like Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Fantasy, etc.

If you see any helpful posts, give a Kudo! If you see a response that answers your question, please mark Accept as Solution!
Tags (1)
53 REPLIES
Contributin' 'Hoo

Re: Announcement: Yahoo Messenger will be discontinued after July 17, 2018

So I requested the history chat download, will that include all of the chat history until today itself, the day I requested it, or all of them, including those that could happen tomorrow?

Pro 'Hoo

If they dicontinue Yahoo All together, then thy won't have Mail to check. I don't think they'd want to upset their users anymore than they already have.

'Hoo Recruit

Not happy about this wont be able to chat with friends 😤
Contributin' 'Hoo

What about the archive? I haven't accessed it in ages, but I do remember we were still able to read old chats with a link (of the old YM). Will that link still be available or have you guys killed that one as well already?

Contributin' 'Hoo

You can add them to another IM program. If you have a gmail account I think you're able to chat in there. Not cool though, I mean... Google already knows everything about us, now they'll also have super personal information there. Nottttt cool at all.

Pro 'Hoo

It was their choice to discontinue it, it can't be helped. Wish they would at least reconsider getting rid of it, they did the same thing with AIM and I am a AIM user.

TBO
'Hoo Helper

First the Green format was changed..ALL my contacts left..Now I have 3 people on chat,,they will leave too,

I am sure many more will reply here and not care how polite they are,nothing to lose since Yahoo is almost destroyed.Thanks. byeeexxxSmiley Frustrated

TBO
'Hoo Helper

Forget the group chat..There are some old folks still here.

TBO
'Hoo Helper

Instead of giving this **Username Protected**@oath.com .

Why not send it to our YAHOO email? 

It isn't the easiest thing in the world to try sending thru Outlook.

Not everyone is a computer expert.