cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Change username

SOLVED
Highlighted
New 'Hoo

Change username

Hi, I can't change my old username which i was given when i created a  id before years. Still it apperas the same, many times i changed my username in settings column but i find no use of it. still it appears the same.  If anyone can help ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Change username

This is the easiest thing to do.

You can create an extra email address that will go to the same mailbox as your primary email address.

Hover over the far right gear icon ⚙ in Yahoo mail and then click "settings".
Click on "accounts".
Select the first or only account.
Go to the "Extra email address" section near the middle of the page.
You can then sign in with either ID.

Feel free to reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my postings are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
4 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

It is not possible to change the "username".

Due to the fact that many confuse the different name fields I present the following.

The profile YAHOO NICKNAME seems to be used in Fantasy Sports. It is also used in news comments. It is also the default for Yahoo Answers but can be replaced there. If used in other places let me know. You can change it as follows. Click on the gear icon and select "account info". Click on the nickname and it will become editable. Change and click save.

You can also change the YAHOO ACCOUNT NAME in the same location.

If your are referring to the YAHOO ANSWERS NICKNAME then click on your avatar/name in the left column; click on edit preferences; and click on "edit" after the nickname. A popup will open allowing you to change the name. You can chose to use the profile YAHOO NICKNAME or any other of your choice.

All the new versions of messenger have a round icon at the upper left. Clicking it allows you to change the avatar and name. Since they can be changed anytime the ALIAS is obsolete obsolete.

If you are referring to the FROM NAME that appears with your address in sent email then hover over the far right gear icon ⚙ in Yahoo mail and then click "settings". Then click "accounts" in left column. Select the primary address. On the next page you can change the FROM NAME. It can be blank and then only the email address will appear.

If you are referring to USERNAME@yahoo.com it can't be changed.

If you are referring to SOMETHING ELSE let me know.

Feel free to reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my postings are just my opinion based on experience.
Make sure your phone and email are current. There is no way to verify or recover an account without them.
New 'Hoo

Seeing that the username cannot be changed, would I then have to create a new aco**bleep** and link it with my old profile.  I don't want to lose any old emails or give everyone my new email address.  My username (created in my teens) is not very appealing anymore and when I give out my yahoo email address, I want it to be taken more seriously. 

Mail Pro All-star

This is the easiest thing to do.

You can create an extra email address that will go to the same mailbox as your primary email address.

Hover over the far right gear icon ⚙ in Yahoo mail and then click "settings".
Click on "accounts".
Select the first or only account.
Go to the "Extra email address" section near the middle of the page.
You can then sign in with either ID.

New 'Hoo

Hi.  My long-time yahoo acount has deleted my name, and even with following your protocol I can't change the "from" name.  Is there anything else I need to do?  Thanks for your suggestions.

@Barkley_Hound wrote:

It is not possible to change the "username".

Due to the fact that many confuse the different name fields I present the following.

The profile YAHOO NICKNAME seems to be used in Fantasy Sports. It is also used in news comments. It is also the default for Yahoo Answers but can be replaced there. If used in other places let me know. You can change it as follows. Click on the gear icon and select "account info". Click on the nickname and it will become editable. Change and click save.

You can also change the YAHOO ACCOUNT NAME in the same location.

If your are referring to the YAHOO ANSWERS NICKNAME then click on your avatar/name in the left column; click on edit preferences; and click on "edit" after the nickname. A popup will open allowing you to change the name. You can chose to use the profile YAHOO NICKNAME or any other of your choice.

All the new versions of messenger have a round icon at the upper left. Clicking it allows you to change the avatar and name. Since they can be changed anytime the ALIAS is obsolete obsolete.

If you are referring to the FROM NAME that appears with your address in sent email then hover over the far right gear icon ⚙ in Yahoo mail and then click "settings". Then click "accounts" in left column. Select the primary address. On the next page you can change the FROM NAME. It can be blank and then only the email address will appear.

If you are referring to **Username Removed**@yahoo.com it can't be changed.

If you are referring to SOMETHING ELSE let me know.