cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Trying to delete

New 'Hoo

Trying to delete

So our email is out of control. NO problem. I'm trying to delete things from several years ago ... didn't know I was still getting those subscriptions and now unsubscribed. There are 40,000+ in that particular file, eg. I don't want to clear 100 at a time. So I clicked on "delete all emails," and get a "failed clearing folder" message. Some of the less egregious folders, too. I tried emptying trash. Failed Clearing message there, too. A couple times I was able to delete 20% before it just spun and spun. If I hit "Stop" it would confirm I had deleted 20%. Even after emptying trash, I could only do this a couple times. Help, please?

4 REPLIES
Highlighted
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Trying to delete

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year @Voni

Only the Trash and Spam folders have an icon to delete everything. Hover over the folder and click the trash can that appears.

FULL FEATURED EMAIL (Classic) or NEW EMAIL (Beta)

Delete a single email from your message list.
1. Select the checkbox next to the message.
2. Click Delete.
or
1. Click the email to view it.
2. Click Delete.

Deleting multiple emails in a list
1. Select the checkbox next to the emails you want to delete.
2. Click Delete.

Deleting a range of emails in a list
1. Select the checkbox next to the first email you want to delete.
2. Shift select the checkbox next to the last email you want to delete.
3. Click Delete.

Deleting all email in a list
1. Check the first one.
2. Scroll to the end.
3. Shift click the last one.
4. Click Delete.
5. New (Beta) email is supposed to allow you to check the box at the top of the column to check all. I have not tried it but it is an option for you to try. (Classic email will only select 50-60.) There is also a delete all option for folders but not the inbox next to the folder name.
6 .Deleting a huge amount of email can take some time. It might be better to start with a small range and keep trying larger chunks just to make sure it works and is not hung up. The limit is 10,000 emails at one time.

Deleting an email in your message list without opening it.
1. Mouse over an email.
2. Click the Trash icon that appears on that email.

Moving emails from your Trash
1. Click Trash in the Left Navigation column.
2. Select the checkbox next to the email(s) you want to move from your Trash folder.
3. Click Move.
4. Click a folder's name in the drop-down list.

BASIC EMAIL

Delete a single message
1. Open an email or select its checkbox.
2. Click Delete.
3. You can also click the Trash icon at the far right of the message to delete it.

Delete multiple emails in a list
1. Select the check boxes of the emails you want to delete.
2. Click Delete.

Feel free to reply if my question or answer is not clear. Include @Barkley_Hound in the post.
I do not work for Yahoo and my postings are just my opinion based on experience.
New 'Hoo

If I hover over the name of the folder, a little arrow pops up. If I click on it, a "delete all emails" option appears, and I click on it. This is when it gets up to 20% and "failed to clear", or I click on cancel, and it confirms 20% deleted. They appear in my trash. Then, after a couple of times of 20%, it just gives me "failed to clear." Hmmm. Maybe trash is full. I click on delete next to the trash, but get the same "failed to clear" or "unable to delete" if select only 100 to delete. Problem is there are 40,000 emails plus in this one folder (didn't realize I was still subscribed to the list that I have filtered to this folder.) Deleting 100 at a time is not an option, especially when there is a "delete all emails" option available. Does this make better sense? (Not sure my original was a good explanation.)

Tags (1)
Mail All-star

@Voni

What browser are you using ? Have you tried a different browser to see if it is still an issue.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@Voni

It may be because you can only delete 10k emails at once in Yahoo. Check out this post for more info.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare