cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements
Yahoo Help Community is also available in 中文 (Chinese), Français (French), Deutsch (German), and Español (Spanish).

Sudden SPAM explosion

SOLVED
Highlighted
Pro 'Hoo

Sudden SPAM explosion

All of a sudden I am getting a lot of spam in my account. It's not even going into the spam box. I have had this account for quite a while. This started about a week ago. Even if I mark it as spam AND block it, I continue to receive it. Now I"m getting sspam using my username saying my account will be deactivated. What is wrong with Yahoo? The "solutions" here are not helpful.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Sudden SPAM explosion

Greetings @glenross66 @w6570

Check out this article for why you are seeing an increase in Spam.  Once your account is targeted by spammers there is nothing that Yahoo can do to stem this tide unless you mark these emails as Spam so Yahoo can tell what is and isn't Spam.  The reason that you have to continue to mark these emails as Spam is that Yahoo records the IP address the spam comes from but as spammers can also change the IP address with each spam email the best thing you can do to continue marking them as spam.  Trying to block spam is not worth the trouble since the spammers can make small changes to get around your filters and blocks.  You can view this article to see how Yahoo's spam filters work

The only solution that can guarantee you will receive no more spam would be to close your account.  Let me know if this is something you want to try and I can provide the instructions to do this. 

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue
Official 'Hoo Staff

@glenross66

The Spam filters take precedence over any settings/filters on the account. So if an email is deemed to be Spam, it will go there, ignoring anything else set up on the account.

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
17 REPLIES
New 'Hoo

I have the same problem, a sudden spam explosion!!!What can I do?

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @glenross66 @w6570

Check out this article for why you are seeing an increase in Spam.  Once your account is targeted by spammers there is nothing that Yahoo can do to stem this tide unless you mark these emails as Spam so Yahoo can tell what is and isn't Spam.  The reason that you have to continue to mark these emails as Spam is that Yahoo records the IP address the spam comes from but as spammers can also change the IP address with each spam email the best thing you can do to continue marking them as spam.  Trying to block spam is not worth the trouble since the spammers can make small changes to get around your filters and blocks.  You can view this article to see how Yahoo's spam filters work

The only solution that can guarantee you will receive no more spam would be to close your account.  Let me know if this is something you want to try and I can provide the instructions to do this. 

Pro 'Hoo

I would rather not close my account and reactivate. I was getting less spam for a few days since my first post here and now it's started again. Is Yahoo able to track the ISPs. I mark the spam as spam. There is one in particular that is coming daily about Medicare 2019 that is clearly fraudulent. 

How successful is it just to change the password? I have two yahoo acccounts that i have linked. Do I need to give each one a separate, new password?

I find this all very strange because I never really got spam in either. I'm not getting an explosion but about a dozen at a time and usually from the same people....like cannabis oil. I have reported that one as spam repeatedly but it keeps coming. Do you think you can remedy all of thisor do you recomment the password change at this point? Thanks

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @glenross66

Use the following article to secure this account properly.

Secure your Yahoo account - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/sln2080.html

You can also use a password manager like KeePass or LastPass to create and store strong unique passwords for the sites you visit. These programs can also automatically log you in to any web site you have stored in its database.

Changing your password will have no effect on the amount of spam you receive.  Other options you could try would be to sign up for the Spamcop servce.  This service allows you to report the spam you receive to the ISP that it came from to see if they can help in eliminating the spam at the source.

If you want improved mail filtering you can use an external mail filtering service. The article below shows options for Windows users but you can find programs for other operating systems.

Top Free Spam Filters for Windows - https://www.lifewire.com/top-free-spam-filters-windows-1174416

Another step is to use an email client, like Outlook or Thunderbird to view your email.  This way you can use the spam-filtering options available in these products to help control spam.

Access your Yahoo Mail account with another mail program - https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN15404.html?impressions=true

Pro 'Hoo

Why do you tell people to change their password if that has nothingn to do with the spam? Can't Yahoo track the ISPs and block the spam? What does Yahoo do to help? Thanks

Official 'Hoo Staff

@glenross66

Resetting the password helps ensure that no one has access to it, in case the spam is being caused by malware/spyware on the device. Yahoo does monitor IPs and domain reputations when determining what's spam and what isn't.

Mail Pro All-star

Greetings @glenross66

If your account had been compromised and used to send spam then changing your password would be a way to stop this kind of spam. 

You can sign up for the Spamcop service I mentioned in my previous reply.  They can review the full headers of these spam emails and send a complaint email back to the ISP the spam came from. 

The best thing to do is to continue to mark these emails as Spam.

Pro 'Hoo

So should I expect Yahoo to eventually stop the influx of spam when it can identify who is sending it. Thanks again. I appreciate all your suggestions for third party solutions but I'd like yahoo to remedy this. Is that likely? I do report all spam rather than block and then I block but it still comes through. How can this be?

Official 'Hoo Staff

@glenross66

The Spam filters take precedence over any settings/filters on the account. So if an email is deemed to be Spam, it will go there, ignoring anything else set up on the account.