cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cancel

Help Community

Announcements

We’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the Yahoo Communities effective Jan 24, 2019.

Be assured you will still be able to find answers to your Yahoo product and app questions on the Yahoo Help website (https://help.yahoo.com). In addition, you’ll be able to find the Yahoo Community moderators on Twitter, responding from our many handles including @YahooCare and @YahooFantasyCC.

If you ever need help with your Yahoo accounts, try Yahoo Account Pro for 24/7 live phone support.

Serious Forwarding Issue in Mail using Firefox

Established 'Hoo

Serious Forwarding Issue in Mail using Firefox

When using mail.yahoo.com, the page often spontaneously fwds to a malicious webpage. There, it may tell you a number of things, like there is a Java upgrade and you need to download <this> now and install, etc.

I think this is a MAL AD, but that's only an assumption. It does not happen when using Chrome.

18 REPLIES
Mail Pro All-star

Re: Serious Forwarding Issue in Mail using Firefox

Greetings @gbulla

That's odd that you only see that in one browser.  I'd make sure your computer has an updated antivirus and run a full scan.  After that finishes I would run a malware scan using MalwareBytes.  Once those are both complete I would install an ad blocker like uBlock Origin and try again.

Also using Firefox you can click on the Help menu and then click on "Report Deceptive Site" to report the webpage.

Please give Kudos for any answer you like
Please click the Accept as Solution button if an answer resolves your issue

Please note that the classic version of Yahoo Mail will no longer be available after January 30, 2019. At that time, you'll be upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or basic Mail, depending on your browser's compatibility.
Official 'Hoo Staff

@gbulla

How long have you been seeing this? Does it happen consistently?

Check out our Tips and Tricks board for solutions to most Yahoo Mail issues!
Want help via Twitter? Tweet @YahooCare
Established 'Hoo

Thanks Arthur, haven't ran a compete scan yet but I do run BitDefender. I have never fell for the website's threat to install s/w thankfully. I will look into the Ad blocker.

Yep, not at all in Chrome!

Established 'Hoo

Scooter, it has been doing this for about 3-4 weeks. It does it pretty consistently. I wish I could tell you which ad was running when it happpens but the page just changes in a flash. If you work for Yahoo, perhaps you could check the logs to see what ads were running on my email account, it is gbulla. It is only a guess that it is a malicious ad BTW,

gb

Official 'Hoo Staff

@gbulla

Does it happen across all devices or just one in particular?

Established 'Hoo

Scooter - Just in Yahoo email on Firefox.

Established 'Hoo

BTW I am running on Windows 10.

Official 'Hoo Staff

@gbulla

Ok. So nothing on mobile? Does this happen on other devices that run Firefox as well?

Established 'Hoo

scooter, I run Yahoo email on my Android smartphone but no issues there (which makes sense, as it is an app vs a web page).

I've also not noticed any issues on my iPad. I dont' recallif I'm running a yahoo email app on that or the native mail app.

Note that neither of the above run ads.

gb